To wrap or not to wrap

Legalalien

He guys,

I just purchased headers for my pathy and wanted to ask everybody's opinion on header wrap; Does it realy help? what are the pro's and con's? what brand should I buy? I'll apresiate any and all coments or sugestions.

Edited by Precise1
Fixed that for you...

He guys,

I just purchased headers for my pathy and wanted to ask everybody's opinion on header wrap; Does it realy help? what are the pro's and con's? what brand should I buy? I'll apresiate any and all coments or sugestions.

Help what?

It will reduce underhood temperatures. Sellers claim it will aid horsepower. I have not yet seen any objective data to support that, only marketing claims.

It will also trap moisture. Depending on your climate, usage of vehicle, and the quality of base header, this can lead to serious rust problems over time.

I had a floorboard heating problem in a van. I laid a piece of 6" wide wrapping material across the top of the header (NOT wrapped) between the header and floorboard. It resulted in a very significant reduction in temps. My climate is extremely dry and I did not have rust problem. Eventually ceramic coated the headers so the experiment was not for long.

I kept burning my pants leg on a stainless steel header pipe on my XR-400. I wrapped a 6" section. No more burns, but when it was trashed and needed replacement a couple years later, there was notable corrosion on steel surface.