Wet under carpet on passenger side floorboard ?

MadManMike

Hey guys,

I kept smelling kind of a musty mold smell and I finally went to investigate... for some odd reason the carpet is sopping wet under the passenger side carpet (right where the passenger would put their feet)

I cleaned it up and dried it up and the next time I got home from driving (it was wet outside) it was sopping wet again.

I figure water is being kicked up by the front tire and is leaking in somewhere. I lifted the carpet and see no holes in the floorboard? I have no rust issues .... any one know where it could be leaking from?

I though maybe some one has had this problem before :)

thanks for your help

-Mike

Could be the AC evaporator, or the line that lets the condensation from it drip out is clogged. My AC system's drain tube is a red hose poking thru the firewall on the passenger side. Maybe turn your AC on for a bit and see if yours is draining well? Dunno much about AC systems, sorry.

Could be the AC evaporator, or the line that lets the condensation from it drip out is clogged. My AC system's drain tube is a red hose poking thru the firewall on the passenger side. Maybe turn your AC on for a bit and see if yours is draining well? Dunno much about AC systems, sorry.

I found it.... I let it dry out today ( a nice day in the NW yey!)

After letting it dry I then peeled back all of the carpet and the padding, and the rubber like stuff on the wheel well. Then I took the hose and sprayed water in the wheel well and that area.. And there was the leak, a tiny screw hole was just letting water come right in. A little silicone caulk should fix that.

-Mike

After letting it dry I then peeled back all of the carpet and the padding, and the rubber like stuff on the wheel well. Then I took the hose and sprayed water in the wheel well and that area.. And there was the leak, a tiny screw hole was just letting water come right in. A little silicone caulk should fix that.

-Mike

That's good, easy to fix. Do not use the caulking that smells like vinegar (like the bathroom caulking) - use RTV like you would use on an oil pan or similar.

That's good, easy to fix. Do not use the caulking that smells like vinegar (like the bathroom caulking) - use RTV like you would use on an oil pan or similar.

Yeah I was wondering about that.... the other stuff will cause rust right?

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

-Mike

Is that fix still holding up? I don't drive my Pathfinder much at all, in fact hadn't driven it in over a week until yesterday. We've had some heavy rain here this past week, and my passenger side carpet was also completely saturated. Since it was so wet after just being parked in the rain, I don't think it's coming from the tire kicking water up through the wheel well, nor could it be the A/C evaporator.

I found inside the fender just in front of the door jamb a drain hose that doesn't feel like it's attached at the bottom. I suspect this is the culprit. I haven't figured out yet if this is coming from the cowl vent area or perhaps from the moonroof, but wherever it originates it just doesn't seem to have a route out through the floorboard. Need to get back out there and hunt it down.

Mine is an '01 for what it's worth.