89 Auto Transmission Wiring

Scottzilla

Does anybody know if the big wire bundle that goes into the side of the tranny comes out? It's the one where there are like 6 or so wires going into some epoxy in a round white plastic thing.

I pulled the sheath back on mine today and noticed that one wire is broken and a few others are about to go. I'm guessing it might explain the problem I'm having with the "power" button not working. I'd like to fix it but I don't know if that round thing is a connector that I can pull out or if the wires just run through it into the guts of the tranny. Given the current fragile state of the wires I'm a little afraid to go tugging on anything...

I assume you are talking about the white(ish) round connector on the passenger side of the tranny. No it doesn't come out. Your best bet is to butt splice those wires. I know when you pull the pan down that you can see the other ends of those wires, but I tried and gave up on getting them out.

Go get yourself some heatshrink and some splices and crimp them back together (having put the heatshrink on *first* of course :) )

indigent.

Edited by Indigent

if you are brave enough, you can pull the pan and valve body to access the white plug with wires. thats only if you want to go that far.

good luck trying to remove the wires. those plastic connectors and plugs become so brittle over time that they will break off. You'll also be having a hard time trying to remove those broken pieces when they fall deep into the transmission. I gave up and spliced and soldered the wires together.

• 3 weeks later...

It really isn't much to pull the wires from up under the hood. Once you disconnect the plugs and snake them down, it's all cake from there. I would recommend this over splices considering how much time it doesn't really take. The time you will spend re-splicing the wires could have been spent snaking them down, without the risk of bad splices or crossed wires.

just a thought...

indigent.

• 1 month later...

This is a slightly different question. Does anybody know what the two senders/sensors/???s sticking out of the passenger's side of the automatic tranny are for exactly? I need to do some reconstructive wiring on mine and am wondering if they are just switches or solenoids or something where polarity doesn't matter.

I did notice that on an '88 they are wired in series while on the '89 they each get their own pair of wires...