how do you replace the clutch?

87oilleak

Im in need of some help here I have been trying to replace my clutch for a few days now, I have removed all the bell housing bolts the few bolts comming from the engine into the bell housing, the drive shafts. I cannot get the transmission to seperate from the engine. Any tips or tricks would help.

you removed the 4 bolts that go into the transmission through the front side of the engine into the bell housing? 2 are on the starter (it has to be out of the way to get to them and 2 on the other side) and theres also 2 in the top center on the tranny its a PITA to get to

I assume you have all the other X members diconnected as well? I had the same problem and had missed that top center bolts the 1st time I pulled mine and it wouldnt let it go but after it was out it came pretty easy...its heavy so dont be under it when it does go...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I got all the bolts but did not remove the xmembers. I cannot seem to get the torsion bars out where the connect to the control arms I did get them out at the rear. I was hoping I could slide it back far enough to remove and install a new clutch.

did you remove the 3 nuts on each T bar up front? b/c that retaining plate will not allow the bars to come out until those 3 bolts are loose IIRC...

the tranny should be bolted to a transmission X member that will not allow the tranny to move until that is out of the way...

you also need to drop out the cross over pipe on the exhaust...

I've done 3 clutches and never been able to do it with the tranny in place...but if you can get to it and do it that's more power to ya

Good luck