Will new struts make the front end lifted more

Guest pennypathfinder

Guest pennypathfinder

Will new struts make my front end lift after the rancho shocks and 2 inch lift have been intalled......or will it not make any difference......I dont wanna put 31's on there and then if i were to get the struts be able to but 32's on there b/c the back looks like there is enough clearence

Struts alone will NOT lift the truck....but putting some taller springs on the existing struts will. I suggest replacing the struts when you do the lift....it will ride soooo much better with everything new. The only problem with taller springs on the front is that it will cause the front struts to be virtually maxed out. That means the front whells will have very little down travel (Towards the ground) before they max out.

I have the Automotive Customizers 2" lift on my 97 (2 Struts, 4 coils, 2 shocks) running 31" BFG AT KO's with no problems....I have done a ton of research on the actual sizes of specific brands of 32's and 33's and the 32's seem to be the perfect size for a 96 and up pathy with a 2" lift. 33's seem to be a little too large to fit on the front....probably have some rubbing on the front outside edge of the fender well.

Hope this helps...I would give photos, but I lost my hard drive last week and lost a ton of stuff.

Keith

Guest duke

I keep hearing about the front end being maxed out very easily when lifted 2". How bad is this really? Does it wear out components prematurely? Is there anything that can be done about it?

has anyone had any issues with the AC lift with the Bilstein shocks? I have no real issues with the springs, but the shocks they sent me don't have the right size bushings on the top mount of the shock.

Should I be taking the stock bushing out of the stock shock and putting it in the Bilstein? When I had my buddy install the lift, he just slapped the shocks on there and they banged and smacked around until I figured out what the "THUNKING" noise was coming from the rear suspension...

just wondering what anyone's experience has been speicifically with the rear shocks! My truck is an 02, so don't know if the top shock mounts are different....

I have got the AC Rancho shocks, not Blisteins though. However, I beleive there were metal shims that came with the shocks that had to be fitted into the bushings on either end. These therefore made the shocks fit tightly on the mounts. Did you just get the package and give it to your friend for install, or did you look through it first? Maybe yours had shims also, but he just forgot to put those shims in :rolleyes:

I looked through everything and I'm pretty sure there were no shims. I called AC today for another reason (more on that in a sec) and Mike said that I need to get some tubing or some other "sleeve" to put into the top bushing to make it fit right... need to figure out what I need and how to go about that...

However - about the friend installing the kit - I do believe the monkeys he has working for him killed one of the front struts. Not think, I know they did. The main piston threads are destroyed and stripped to hell. Consequently, I had to rent a car for the 40 mile ride home tonight cause my truck is having a sleep over at a garage near work. fun fun fun - need to get a new strut tomorrow, but will be bringing the stock replacement just in case they can't get a hold of the right kyb tomorrow.

We shall see.

new strut being installed today - hopefully done at a reasonable hour... they're letting us out of work early today, but don't know if the truck will be done by then...

anyway - glad to have it over and done with without having the front suspension let go on the hway!!