Input

NissanPerson

Know someone that took a Pathy in to get a new manifold cause of the usual tick tick ticking. They took it all apart quoted a price the guy said to go for it. Got a call later on that the mechanic had drilled into the head. Now the dealership will pay 1/2 but won't pay for a new head. Why do idiots that screw up always have to find a way out of things? Can't they just say, "hey, yeah, we messed up, we'll take care of it." Don't they realize the $1000 or whatever they have to spend will be well worth it in positive advertising??? "yeah, they messed up my car but took care of everything and got it all fixed. can't get too angry at that." Rather than "yeah, they messed up my car, won't fix it, tried to blame it on me saying I brought it in with a cracked head, and I'll never go back there and I'll be sure to do everything in my power to tell people to stay away from this place."

Any thoughts?

Yeh, Here is my #1 thought;

Never Ever get work done @ a dealership! Unless there is absolutely no other option (or its a recall w/ free maintance like nissan did once w/ seatbelts) Find a regular autoshop maybe even one that specializes in your veilce (but is not a dealership) and you will find people who (85% of the time) work harder for your $$$ and prices are much lower.

Lemie give you an example;

I encountered 3 broken studs when installing my headers. after breaking an easy out inside one I decided to take it somewhere. For @!*%s and gigles I asked a dearship Nissan quoted me $2300 for "16hrs of labor" unless head bolts broke in the process... I hung up!

I called a few other places who gave various $amounts most said no more than $1200 if they took the heads off and drilled from the back. the shop I went with charged me $870 out the door and that included installing my new Thorley Headders for me. They had broken one of my emissons lines in the process and replaced it with no extra charge cause "they broke it" and they aloso spent $80 on a thread tap for that emmisons line which they also didn't charge me for because it was going to be their tool.

Buddy I paid less than 1/2 the dealer amount. And that nissan quote; well that comes out to about $143 per hour. Do you know anyone that makes that much?

The truth is dealers make so much money of cars and overpriced maintenace/parts (form rich ppl and ppl who have not yet been educated) that they don't care about covering your ass when they make a mistake. Now in a non dealer shop I saw a mechanic break somones break caper bolt and they refuesed to give the guy his car untill they got it out and then refused again untill they could get him a whole new caliper mount (cause they fskced up the threads drilling it out) and there was no charge involved; only the inconvenionce of not having a car for 2 more days. The cousomer thought he was wronged because he did not know what a caliper was and how it effected his safety to drive it like that but I know they did the right thing for the coustomer.

I really hate to hear stories like this. I'd have to find a good lawyer,,, because I'd probably break one of the serv. managers thumbs before suggesting that they have my rig fixed by a professional on their dime. Don't forget to sweep everything off his desk on your way out.

But on a serious note... I'd suggest the mechanic who screwed up pay my half.(and not touch my rig again)

Also, I'd do a nice write-up about what happened and include all the info you can get on the dealership.(names, addy, phone #, email, ect.) Post it on every Nissan related forum you can find. Then get all the links together and email them to the dealership with a nice note about getting the word out so noone else has to deal with the bad service. You'd really be surprised how people react when you start proving that you're personally hurting their business. Make sure you don't say anything you wouldn't want a judge to read.

Just talked with him and he said after a few phone calls today finally got the place to pay for a used head that will be inspected by an engine repair shop of his choosing (to make sure they aren't putting a bad head on). I suppose the game is that most people would say "oh ok, 1/2 sounds fine" and the dealership would make a nice chunk of change. Still, never should've gone as far as it did. That same day it should've been worked out...leaves a bad taste.