Dual purpose relay

jeffro

I have a 1991 Pathy 3.0l I have been having a problem with my starting circuit since I put a new engine in my pathy. I have found a few threads adressing that issue so I wont go into to much. Basically the solenoid would just click a few times before finally starting. Recently during our cold spree the dual purpose relay(big one near the battery with two plugs on the bottom) would just "spazz" out before finally closing all the way. Yesterday I fried the fusible link that hooks up to the battery, the two wire one. I replaced the link today, and all of the electronics started working again. When I tried to start the engine the dual purpose relay just "spazzed". It didn't ever close all the way. One time it started and ran just fine, when I shut it off that was it. I have checked the power at the relay. With key on the two black/yellow wires have 6.1v. With the key in the start position the b/y wires had 11.9v. Battery voltage was 12.4v.

What do you think? I thank in advance any and all advice. thanks for taking the time to read this. :crossedwires:

USUALLY the machine gun action in relays or solenoids is due to a weak battery. And cold makes the situation worse as a cold battery puts out less amperage - and unfortunately, a cold engine needs more amperage to crank over. That's a double whammy.

Next time it happens, try connecting to a known good battery with jumper cables. I bet it spins over fine. If so, new battery time.

Figured it out today. I had a bad connection in the small plug that connects the black/pink wire to the starter solenoid. Bad connection=weak ground for the relay, and no start. All is good now. I hope