seafoam treatment

Chriskaw440

I have never used SEAFOAM but I see it mentioned a lot on here, so I take it that it is good stuff?

can you add it to your oil before doing and oil change to flush out junk or is it only for putting in a tank of gas to clean the fuel system?

when I had my valve covers off to replace the gaskets during my knock sensor project, I did see some gunk and crusty build up around the lifters and valve springs, some of which I sucked out

with my shop vac. Engine has over 240,000 miles on it so I was actually expecting to see worse! what I saw looked pretty typical for the age and mileage of the vehicle. I would however like to run

something through the system to clean it up some.....or should I just leave it be. I change my oil every 3,000 with castrol high mileage 10w-40.

thanks, Chris.

the best way to use seafoam is to suck it directly into the intake... but this can be a bit tricky. find a vac line that goes directly to the intake (the smaller diameter of the hose the better 'flow control' will be). start the engine and SLOWLY suck the seafoam our of the can with the vac line in SHORT BURSTS. too much too fast will hydrolock the engine and may or may not cause major problems. the main thing is to find a rythem that works by stopping just at the point that you hear the engine start to bog down. after a couple of mins the foam will work its way through the system and flood the CAT... thats when you get to watch all the pretty smoke come out the tail pipe and fill the entire neighborhood in a thick pea-soup fog. if you actually like your neighbors you might want to warn them as the fire dept. has been known to be called out on such occasions. once you've sucked down the bottle (or half suck, half in the tank to get to the injectors) drive it around town until the smoking stops and you are all done.

works great AND it's fun... just don't get careless and forget to watch your flow rate.

i use it all the time in the X.... what i do is half and half... i use a vacume line to inject into the manifold then i let it sit for about 30-45 min, then i start and let it run for about a hr..... it says you can pours some into the oild right befor you get the oil changed, it it said that it will clean out thepassage ways and whatnot that might be blocked... i havent ever done it but i have talked to some that have... good luck on the foam..