Cap/Rotor Change: How to count spark plug order/number?

leojharris

Hi ...

Just picked up a new cap rotor and wires and have replaced everything with the new components but now the truck won't start...

I just turns over a few times and <THUNK!> freezes. Does this each time with a very pronounced <THUNK!> noise after about 4 or 5 turn overs.

If I remove the coil wire from the cap, the truck just turns over without ever stopping or <THUNKING!> ... but as soon as I put the coil wire back it exhibits the same problem.

I'm pretty sure I got the spark plug wires all attached to the corresponding number designated on the new cap (1,2,3,4...etc.) ... but not sure.

When standing over the engine, at the front of the truck, I am counting the plugs like so:

front most left =1

front most right =2

middle left =3

middle right =4

rear most left =5

rear most right =6

Is that the correct number designation that I should follow with the wires from the cap?

Really wierd problem. Thought it would be a no brainer type operation ...

Thanks for any quick assistance; I've got it torn apart in the driveway as I type ...

:)

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Anyway, I think my problem is that I stripped some distributor gears when trying to get the old rotor off.

The rotor was positively FROZEN on the distributor shaft and I was pretty wreckless with twisting and pulling it. Seems with the rotor lock nut in place and everything, I've now got about 1 full inch of left to right rotational play in the distributor axle (that the rotor rests upon) and a little manual re-aligning got the car to start fine.

But I still think I'm going to need to change the entire distributor now ...

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I mean, destroying a distributor by twisting the rotor to much?

Sucks but at least I got it running halfway decent ... the rotor will most likely get more and more out of sync/line as I drive it but will have to last for a week at least ...

Edited by leojharris

next time try changing cap last.

change the plugs and wires one at a time in order attaching them to the old cap. Then put the new wires on the new cap one at a time in the same order. Remove old cap and install new with wires already attached in correct order. This will save you ever getting them confused.

I had a trouble figuring how to get rotor off, didn't notice the screw on the back holding it on. Will try to find that post and send you a link.