Painting exhaust?

So i had this wild idea to paint my new exhaust all black. A friend of mine had all black exhaust on his truck and i thought it looked really awsome.

I just got a magnaflow installed on my pathy a couple hundred miles ago. Its all stainless steel and it has a polished stainless steel tip. I liked the chrome at first, but now i like the all black look.

What would be the best paint to use? Duplicolor or VHT? Any suggestions on sanding or cleaning it before painting?

I'd like to hear everybodys opinion...

your just painting the chrome tip? If so you would want to etch it with some acid (not sure for chrome) and use a good primer and paint (also not sure about good brands), but you will be exposing it to a lot of heat, any weather conditions, etc., so if you want it to last youll want a quality product. Im sure the vets know what good brands and proper etching and all.

your just painting the chrome tip? If so you would want to etch it with some acid (not sure for chrome) and use a good primer and paint (also not sure about good brands), but you will be exposing it to a lot of heat, any weather conditions, etc., so if you want it to last youll want a quality product. Im sure the vets know what good brands and proper etching and all.

yah as of right now ill just paint the tip, since its exposed to most weather conditions...if i like it...ill do the rest...

thanks for your advice

I'd try Duplicolor engine enamel. "Withstands intermittent heat up to 500*F". Dunno about what to use for etching, though. Never had reason to use any. For such a small piece you're going to paint anyway, you might get away with just sanding the bejeez out of it to knock the chrome down.

I used HIGH HEAT paint from Rustoleum...mainly for barbecues, rated for 1200 degrees...3rd vehicle I have used it on...just knock loose particles of rust of and spray away...more coats does last longer...OEM system in black looks great...incidentally flat black dissapates heat the best anyway!!

A tip if u use high temp paint such as BBQ paint. Paint it while the ehaust is still hot or heat it with a torch or heat gun first (don't use the torch or heat gun at the same time as your painting for obvious reasons). This bakes the paint on and will last longer before you have to repaint. My friend would do all his snowmobile/ATV mufflers this way and it worked great.