MPG'S

iluvmy95pathfinder

I'm only gettin eleven miles to the gallon on my '95 PF. Is that normal??!! I got pretty lame passenger tires...not SUPER lame but nothing that would lower my MPG like that. I've owned it a year and thats all I ever got. I don't have a lift. Its 4WD and 6 cylinder I think. I've met guys with the 4WD '95 truck and they get about 20 mpg...is that kind of thing fixable?

Edited by iluvmy95pathfinder

Couple things could be causing it... and the winter fuel + e20 could have an effect

Check your spark plugs, wires, distributor. Make sure your connections are good and clean and make sure the spark is hot.

Run an injector cleaner thru two or three times in a row (make sure it's a high enough grade for the tank size) when you gas her up.

Check your alignment and camber - having your alignment out could lower your gas mileage a bit.

I can't really tell you how to do those things as they're on my to do list. The injector cleaner could make a huge difference for you - once you get em clean, run the cleaner through once every 4th or 5th tank.

I agree with the plugs, wires and fuel cleaner. The Chevron with techron is supposed to be awesome. I have used it before but I know use the Amsoil PI. Also, oxygen sensors will give you bad gas mileage if they are shot. I just did plugs yesterday and ran a bottle of the Amsoil PI right before I changed my oil last weekend.

What oil are you running? Should be something like 5W-30 especially in the cold. The thinner oils are better on mileage than the heavier stuff.

Edited by wheel366

Make sure your air filter is still good also. Might want to clean the MAF sensor. as that can cause bad mileage. O2's are a cause too. Winter fuel plus e20 is a huge factor. I lost about 2-3mpg from that crappy winter gas. But the biggest thing most people overlook with bad mileage I think is actually tire pressure. I read about it on another forum where I guy was getting around 11 mpg on a 2001 X. He replaced his o2's and it helped him get like 12-13 mpg but then he said he checked his tire pressure and all 4 of his tires were about 5-6lbs low. He said he aired them up and on the first full tank after he got 15. He isnt going to get much better because he is running 32' tires and has big KC lights on top causing drag.

Edited by zonianbrat