5 spd maintenance

sbcathey

I have a 98 with a 5spd, I need to do some maintenance. Recently it started leaking, I haven't gotten under it yet. I was hoping to get a filter/gasket and flush it myself. Also on really cold days I have a grind on a 1-2 up-shift stops once it warms up a bit,,,,so I was wondering how hard a syncro was to replace? I have done alot of other car work including a total restoration of a Chevy hotrod, but I have never done tranny work. Is this doable?

Thanks

Scott

your tranny is leaking? to my knowledge there are no "filters" on the manual transmissions. its just a gearbox with a clutch :) Only a drain plug and fill plug. Never heard of 'flushing' out a manual tranny.

to replace synchros you are basically looking at a full tear down of the tranny anyway...since you have to break it down to get to them...it would be best just to do a full rebuild especially on a model that old. Bearings, synchors...etc.....

Have you tried synthetic lube like REDLINE yet? (redline mt90) I swear by it and I run it in my 1990 5sp tranny.

My 1st gear is sometimes a bitch to get into and sometimes its smooth as silk... I hear this is typical for these transmissions with a lot of miles on them. Mine has 240,000 on it. I just got used to it and have learned how to finesse it into gear when it gets stiff.

Im not an expert on tranny rebuilds but I have had them done in my other vehicles...or just swapped them out for another rebuilt tranny.

Well, I was assuming its the tranny I guess it might be something else, I haven't been under there yet. I only drive it two days a week. I didn't realize there was no filter. I"m an amsoil distributer so I guess i'll put some of that in there.

I think I"ll wait on the rebuild as its not that bad and maybe the syn. oil will help.

Thanks Scott

Check the usual areas for oil leaks such as the valve covers near the rear of the engine, and if its coming from around the oil pan area, it may be the main seal on the rear of the engine. Some folks just get by with running a heavier weight oil such as 10w-40 or 20w-50. Engines that are that old can benefit from the heavier weight protection anyway.

I had an rx-7 whose 5 spd tranny was starting to whine in some gears and my mechanic just put synthetic (redline) in it and said "see how that does....before we get into a rebuild issue...." and it was quiet and operated perfectly for another year and a few months before it was finally just time to do a rebuild, but we ended up just swapping for another tranny he had already rebuilt.

-Chris