Bad hesitation at cruising speeds

Splinter

I thought that it might be the TPS as stated in a previous thread, but after pulling the codes I am getting code:33, Heated O2 Sensor.

I've had 02 sensors crap out before, but I've never had it only seem bad at cruising speed. It normally makes you have a hard time accelerating and idles like poop too.

Any input from you guys would be great.

Thanks

Chris

That could definitely be your issue. The codes typically don't lie. Change it out. It's not difficult at all. I just did mine yesterday. Hopefully yours isn't seized in there, if not, it's a 15-20 minute job. If it is, heat, and penetrating oil are your friends. :)

I've changed a couple, and yep, they're not too difficult at all.

Simon, can you tell me which one is the heated 02 sensor?

Also, can you tell me what you paid for yours? The kids at Crappy Tire can't seem to even answer the phone today, let alone give a price and availability.

Thanks man.

Chris

I got mine from NAPA. $92. It's an NTK, which, is one of the best. (NTK is the same company as NGK, the one that makes plugs)

The "heated" 02 sensor is the 1 and only on the truck. Right in front of the Cat, just after the y-pipe.

Edited by Simon

Perfect man.

I just got off the phone with Part Source (Crappy tire anyway) and they wanted $108 for one.

He also told me that there is only one of them on it too.

I would have looked to see if there was more than one, but it's WAY to snowy out there to be underneath if I don't have to.

Thanks again for the info Simon.

Chris

I thought that it might be the TPS as stated in a previous thread, but after pulling the codes I am getting code:33, Heated O2 Sensor.

I've had 02 sensors crap out before, but I've never had it only seem bad at cruising speed. It normally makes you have a hard time accelerating and idles like poop too.

Any input from you guys would be great.

Thanks

Chris

As in my previous posts, this is what happened to me. Sometimes it would get so bad that coming off the off ramp, I'd be back firing, and then it would just stall out. Headwinds and hills were challenging. It was the 02 sensor.

Hey, I've got one more question......

When I put gas in the pathy it seems to run worse for about 1/2 hour or until I shut it off.

Does that sound like an 02 sensor to you as well?

I don't mind replacing parts, I just don't want to spend $100 on something that I don't have to.

Thanks again

Chris

It could very well be. Change the 02 sensor, as your truck (via the code) is telling you to, as well as your symptoms are telling US you need to. See if your other problem goes away.

Hey, just making sure that I wasn't throwing money away. I'm sure that you don't like replacing parts that you don't need to as much as I don't.

I AM taking your advice and changing it tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure that my symptoms actually matched the code.

Thanks Simon.

It's nice to have other peoples input in a situation that you aren't sure about.

Chris

For sure man....I agree. Mookie's experience matches yours, though worse, and I just had bad mileage, and some power issues, and mine now seem cured after the O2 sensor change yesterday. :aok:

IF there's a NAPA in your area, get the sensor from them. $16 cheaper is nothing to sneeze at!

Right on buddeh!!!

There is a NAPA right around the corner from me, so I'll call them tomorrow and get/order one tomorrow.

I really appreciate the info, it's nice to have some others that have had experience with the same problem to draw from in a situation like this. I do trust the OBD, but just wanted to double check that the symptoms were the same.

Thanks to all for the input.

Chris