Bucking Bronco

Black93inMA

I recently posted this on the NEwbie Forum, but realize I'm not a newbie anymore, soooooooo here goes nuttin

OK so here is the latest news.....

I cut out the rust in the left rear wheel well frame area and welded in a new section with 1/8 plates.

I installed 4 new shocks on all corners as tubes were rusted on originals.

I replaced all the fluids and filters with proper weights and Lucas products.

After driving 100 miles or so I developed a surging problem where i would accelerate and at about 3000 RPM the engine would cut out down to 1000 RPM and then surge between 1000 and 2000 RPM's.

I then changed the fuel filter and the distributor cap+rotor. I noticed the distributor was missing the tab closest to the engine so only 2 screws hold on th cap not 3...

I drove it for a day (75 miles) and it seemed to have new life and more power in it and then all hell broke loose.

While accelerating onto highway traffic i hit 3500 RPM and the engine immediately dropped down to 1000 and began to surge, I feathered the pedal to try and gain speed as a semi beared down on me. The POWER light flickered on the dash and a red light on the dash came on near the check engine light.

I was able to get off at the next exit and drove back roads all the way home at under 3000 RPM.

I tried a little experiment on the way home.....I turned on the POWER button and accelerated quickly. This time the engine surged between 500 and 1500 bucking wildly, I let off the gas and it settle down.

Research on the forums gave me 'some' advice.... MAF? Fuel Pump? Ignition Coil? all three?

I think maybe I know why I paid $650 for this rig.....

Any advice would be great!

Not sure about pathys but my driving instructing cars would sometimes go into "safe mode" cus of the kids. Had to disconnect then reconnect the battery to take it out. might be worth a shot.

thanks for the advice.........will try that!