Exhaust question

Joey

I have a 1990 Nissan pathfinder 4x4 se and i am currently removing tha tranny to do a rebuild because it broke, to do this i need to take out the exhaust, does anyone know the size of the bolts that connect the pipe to the manifold? I got one out using a 5/8" but it will not fit the last two. are they all different sizes or what? I was thinking maybe a 17 or 18mm. I do not have either of those sockets so before i buy them i wanna know for sure what size the nuts on the studs are. Thank you!

yeah exhaust stuff always seems to be rusted to hell and ugly to work on. Soaking them with liquid wrench or something like that for a couple days always helps. If you have a torch, you could always heat the bolts red hot and then give them a whack with a hammer. then they usually unscrew.

• 2 months later...
alright i got the right size, now i need to figure out how to get the bolts out, they are pretty rusted right into the pipe... any ideas or tricks?

I was there when I did my headers!

"PB Blaster" tap it with a hammer (or someting attached to it if the hammer won't fit) several times. move to the next bolt by the time you did this to 6 bolts your first one should be loose. If your re-using the pipes buy new bolts or the heads might snap of one day driving and leave you with and exhaust leak.

I also reccomend buying a tap and chasing the treads in the flanges to prevent internal rusting of your new bolts.

give all your hardware 3 heavy coats of high temp paint AFTER you got it all back together and next time it might be easier.

• 4 weeks later...

i second and third the PB blaster, that thing really works. I took out my exhaust when i got annoyed with the famous manifold stud. SOAK it really well and leave it for a couple of hours. Best bet, SOAK it overnight!