Ignition Timing

madhatter_xe

I left the EGR stuff intact.

so you re-bent the metal egr tubing and threaded the end from the manifold into the header? or did you just eliminate the egr tubing all together?

do you have any pics?

that reminds me, i need to plug that tube that went into the cat. too. I removed all the stock stuff and had straight pipe put in from the Y back to the muffler.

Edited by madhatter_xe

Okay, i'm making some headway, I ended up tweaking the PS cam a little bit so things line up perfectly now with the TB marks. Then I started examining the vaccum lines and found that a couple were in the wrong spots...my pops sort of started connecting them when i was at work and I don't think he paid much attention to where they went.

i also pinched the aiv hose off with some vice-grips for now, and plugged the tube that was venting into the catalytic converter. I'm still having trouble finding something to plug up the emissions fitting in the header. No shops around here sell metric bolts that big.

anyways, things seem to be running a bit better, but I haven't taken it for a rip yet to see if its still lacking power.

this may or not help...but have you tried pulling any codes? or is it not throwing a light? let it idle for like 5 mins to see if it will throw a light if you havent done that yet...it may or may not shed light on the issue

thats a good call. I tried it, but nothing showed up.

Could my exhaust be causing too much back pressure? I am running a straight 2" pipe from the Y-pipe back and then it hits the stock muffler. I wonder if maybe the stock muffler is too restrictive?

I've noticed its been making the odd popping noise and leaking water when I let the truck run. its almost like the pressure is blowing a hole in the muffler welds.

The truck has been idleing great, but when i put the gas on, things get pretty rough and choppy.

Edited by madhatter_xe

Hey guys, thanks again for the help on this. I have the exhaust all fitted up and set the idle and timing. The truck idles nice and sounds good, BUT it seems to be backfiring or something.

It is making a really loud popping noise in the muffler and spraying water out of the drain hole in the muffler. I'm guessing that fuel is pooling and then igniting in the muffler. I checked the plug wires and they're good.

Any ideas for what could be causing this?

thanks.

Sounds a lot like what I went through. Is it leaving a black sooty kinda patch on the driveway out the tailpipe when you rev it? If so, what I attributed that to was carbon buildup from when I had my vacuum leak/missing/put in the wrong spot debacle and the MAF sensor connector problem. Seems like the unburned fuel was leaving deposits all through the exhaust and puking some out when it ran. You also might have goobered up the plugs when it was running poorly. Try pouring some SeaFoam into the TBI per the directions. That'll help clean what's in the combustion chamber some.

Mine pops a little at idle sometimes ever since I opened the exhaust and added headers, cat and the Flowmaster, but it got really bad when I had the troubles I stated before. Try the SeaFoam and if that didn't help maybe new plugs then run her down the highway a few times to get the gunk out.

Yup, thats exactly what its doing. It pops consistently like every 4-5 seconds....sounds like i'm firing an M16 as I drive down the street. I'll try the seafoam and check out the MAF sensor.

Thanks for the tips man.

Edited by madhatter_xe