Exhaust manifold Z24 removal problems

ThomasMoore

So, I removed the exhaust manifold from my 1990 WD21 (the threads are stripped on the bolts). First image (anyone had a competition for most rusted component on their pathy? Will post pictures of the muffler / catalytic elsewhere at a later date :blush: )

2182161511_5fde68ef31.jpg

The entire process was a pain in the @ss - as you can see from the picture below, after trying to remove in-situ, the spanner completely stripped the thread. Enter trusty hacksaw:

2182947218_65589bff02.jpg

So now the exhaust manifold is out, and I still can't shift it - the threads are rusted firm. I've tried WD40, rust remover, locktite ice-spray, tapping with a hammer, over the period of a week or so, and still no joy.

2182158833_5d650290a5.jpg

So with no grip on a spanner, earlier this evening I drilled a 6mm hole (as you can probably tell, the first one didn't work out too well, pipe is too soft...) and have snapped several screwdrivers and steel rods attempting to twist loose. Any suggestions? Getting close to just ditching the entire thing and replacing it, but the rust clears up well and any $$$ saved go back into restoration.

Edited by ThomasMoore

My father has a few things in the garage that will disolve rust... I'll ask him when he wakes up what he recommends. I warn you thought, it will actually disolve a small portion of the metal too.

Edit - He actually recommends Navel Jelly (sp?) and a reverse tap set to remove them.

Edited by Kittamaru

WD40 is not a penetrant.

The only things that are going to work on that are either some of the military/naval penetrants or Kroil (hard to find) or SeaFoam DeepCreep (available everywhere). PB Blaster won't even touch that.

Alternately, how much is your time worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-TRUC...sspagenameZWDVW

Exhaust manifolds for the Z24 are stupidly cheap.

Edited by GhostPath