1990 Pathfinder 4x4 automatic grinding issue

traskrover

Hello, i have a 1990 SE v6 4x4 with the automatic trans. Well it makes a real "corse" sound when engaged in drive and continues to make the sound until it shifts to 2nd. gear. Then it goes away and the trans shifts/operates perfect. I also have completely lost reverse. Any idea what the grinding noise could be? it is definetley coming from the trans, and sounds like a gear or something. Also any good links to posts on trans removal and install on this forum, looks like it is coming out either way eh?. 144k and original trans, but looks like it was neglected, fluid was nasty last change. thanks

I agree that grinding and loss of gear in an Auto trany is not a good sign. Sometimes you can buy a little time on a tranny if it's just a gear loss by fluid change and filter clean, but The noises are never a good sign. Sorry, but looks like a swap weather new, rebuilt or used.

Remeber to replace your favtory tranny cooler when you do the repair if you still have the factory cooler on. This is probably the #1 care you can take on your auto tranny on these rig.