Help me decide. :)

Locry

Hello, I'm a 4x4 noob wannabe. :)

I've never had a 4x4 rig of my own... I'm currently selling my Merc Turbo Diesel wagon to get myself a diesel 4x4. I see myself getting used to the off-road lifestyle and foresee many not so hardcore trips with my growing family. :) (2 kids)

Anyway... i'm in a quandry. I'm thinking of getting either a Safari, an MK (patrol), of a pathfinder.

The safari is my first choice but is more expensive than the other 2. The MK is (in my limited opinion) more robust/capable than the pathfinder but can be a rough daily driver. The pathfinder is the more "gorgeous" of the 3 and (in my limited opinion again) more "refined/family friendly.

So I'm asking you guys... (biases aside :) hahahaha)... which of the 3 should I get... or which of the 2 coz the safari is currently out of my budget.

I'm leaning towards the Pathfinder simply because it seems more tame... but I need assurances that it can go to wherever an MK can... because eventually this will be an off-road machine. :)

thanks guys

The first gen....that'd be a WD21.

To compare that truck to a Patrol in terms of offroad ability, even with a few mods, doesn't make sense. The Patrol will do things the Pathfinder won't. By the same token, the Pathfinder will do things with Patrol won't.

It all depends on what you want to do. Lighter trails, some rock, some mud......the Pathfinder will do just fine. It's also not bad in tight situations.

The Patrol will be better in more rocky conditions, with more suspension travel. It's quite a bit bigger if I remember correctly (we don't get the Patrol over here in Canada)

The first gen....that'd be a WD21.

To compare that truck to a Patrol in terms of offroad ability, even with a few mods, doesn't make sense. The Patrol will do things the Pathfinder won't. By the same token, the Pathfinder will do things with Patrol won't.

It all depends on what you want to do. Lighter trails, some rock, some mud......the Pathfinder will do just fine. It's also not bad in tight situations.

The Patrol will be better in more rocky conditions, with more suspension travel. It's quite a bit bigger if I remember correctly (we don't get the Patrol over here in Canada)

thanks for the reply bro. :) so the off-roading potential of the patrol MK is leagues away from a pathfinder's? i really have no experience off-roading yet. And the flexy sexy pictures I see of pathfinders is quite intriguing. Hinestly I won't be doing any serious off-roading any time soon. I just want my purchase to last long... what i mean by this is that if ever I do get serious with off-roading that I won't have to change platforms. So in terms of off-roading potential the MK is the better choice? I'm assuming the pathfinder is more "city driving-friendly" in terms of comfort... or is there no difference. I hope anyone can chime in re: comfort.

btw... the one in your sig... that's a first gen right? that's the one I want. :)

Edited by Locry

Yes....that's a 95, WD21 (first gen) It does well off road, but a Patrol with a solid axle front will be more bulletproof.

In terms of city driving, I can't comment, as I've never driven a Patrol, much to my chagrin. :lol:

The rear end of our trucks will flex well, with only a few modifications. The front end, unfortunately, does not. That's where the Patrol has us beat.

Now, if you're talking a timeframe of a few years, there are quite a few people who've put a solid axle under the front end of these things which would put them right on par, if not ahead, of the Patrol in terms of capabilities.

That is not a modification that can be done easily, or cheaply.

thanks again guys! :)

so from what I understand...a solid axle is better for offroading?

hmmmmm... I AM a noob. :) coz I always thought independent suspension is an all-around better alternative. :) hehehehe

is there a link or an article re: off-roading basics? suspension theory and do's and don'ts?

thanks again guys! :)

so from what I understand...a solid axle is better for offroading?

hmmmmm... I AM a noob. :) coz I always thought independent suspension is an all-around better alternative. :) hehehehe

is there a link or an article re: off-roading basics? suspension theory and do's and don'ts?

IFS doesn't have the flex of an straight axle'd vehicle. no matter how hard you try (taking sway bars off, etc) IFS will NEVER compete, it just can't flex enough. the rear ends however, you can make flex quite nicely (to the point of spitting out yer coils).. from what you've said, the Pathfinder would be a perfect all round family vehicle...

IFS is more comfy on the road, nicer ride, better handling (IMOO)... I drive mini me like a sports car around corners, the Pathy's have a very low CoG, which makes their handling/safety capabilities a bonus in sticky situations.

they don't hold up well to front end collisions, the frames of the WD-21's have a tendency to rust out if not cared for in badly salted-road states..... but other than that, I have 4 pathy's, so i guess there's a lot to love about em.

I have from stock, to lifted as high as the aftermarket will allow :laugh: and i love them all.

as far as off roading do's and dont's..... DON'T wheel where yer not supposed to..... DON'T act like a jackass and drive too fast. go with someone who has a lot of experience, and oodles of common sense your first few times.

there are lots of write ups about wheelin trips, mods you can make and pictures/vids to enjoy on the site. check out your vehicle specific forum for a lot of info, and the pics/vids thread to see what type of mods people who have posted have.

good A/T tires are a must, and of course, there's even a thread of what types of items oyu should always take wheeling with you.

another rule of thumb, DO NOT go wheeling alone/by yourself... ALWAYS go with another vehicle, unless you know you are not far from civilization, not really doing anything but posing your pathy on a rock, or have a cell phone to call for help. if you were to roll over, get hurt or some other unthinkable.... there's no one there to help out/go for help....

enjoy the site!

thanks slick! :) i'm beginning to lean towards the pathy... it's 55% Pathy 45% MK. :)

the MKs are cheaper here...

will you sacrifice confort over price? and *ahem* this awesome family and wealth of pathfinder information you can find nowhere else in the WORLD????? i think NOT........ ;)

:) hehehehe... you actually have a great point there. what good is a vehicle if you don't have a forum to back it up eh? ;)

actually the only reason why my diesel merc runs as good as it does is because of the guys in the forums at mercedesshop.com. :)

so having a dedicated forum is a selling point in itself.

Ever consider an earlier model 4Runner with the solid front axle. Parts are easy enough to come by aswell and they are a reliable trail rig

the 4 runners here have only recently emerged... they are mostly japan surplus imports that had right hand drive originaly and were just converted to left handers... not all conversions are original spec... in fact they just weld some parts together from what I heard... so i'm staying away from those. :FartExplode-vi: