Wheel Spacers

Orangetang

Since there doesn't appear to be such thing as a 16x8 with 4 or less inches of back spacing, what do you think about wheel spacers? I'm not talking about the 3/8" ring that you put on before the wheel, but rather the bolt on spacers that generally are 1.25 - 2". Safe? A guy at a local tire shop runs 2" on his old Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

1455_1.JPG

I have had 2 "tire shop" types tell me those are the only acceptable way to go if you must use a spacer. Of course, they wanted something like $200 a pop for each. They said the slip on style just causes there to be less thread showing so the lug nuts never get snugged up properly and it is easy to break them off.

Had them on my 98 and now have them on my 02....I think I like them...they make wheels and tires work, they bolt up firm. I DO reccomment checking them after a while just like new rims! Make sure that you get the thread you want when you order them. I mistakingly bought a set with a Toyota bolt pitch. These are still 6x5.5 but they have a different lug nut.

Some say that they can put extra stress on wheel bearings/ball joints etc due to new geometry, I can't imagine it really being different than really negative offset rims though??

But your factory studs and nuts can be used to hold the Toyota plate on? I think the sets on Ebay come with bolts anyway. Otherwise I would be buying Toyota thread lugs for the spacer to wheel connection, rather than Nissan, correct?

I'm looking at replacing my lug nuts anyway. I've already replaced all of the studs except for the DS front, so if I ordered the Toyota ones (in the photo above) off of Ebay, all I need to do if buy some generic lug nuts with the same threading, right?

FYI I have my new studded snow tires installed and they're rubbing on the strut, so I think spacers are the cheapest solution, unless anyone has another idea.

PLUS, when summer time comes, I can buy some nice rims with a 4.5 or 5" BS and not worry about clearance.

Edited by Orangetang

You may get brand new rubbing going on under your rig...I went from my Nismos back to stockers with 265/75/16's and got more rubbing due to new tire placement (BS is totally different on the 2)...the Nismos are going to be sold by the way as I didn't like the color on my truck and well...I am currently married living single (not by my choice).