UPGRADE HELP!

bolivia310

HELLO ALL!! JUST ANOTHER NEW GUY HERE TO THIS FORUM. I HAVE AN 88 PATHFINDER AND LOOKING TO REBUILD IT FROM GROUND UP. CAR WAS PURCHASED BRAND NEW BY MY PARENTS IN 88 AND BEEN WITH US EVER SINCE. I WANT TO REBUILD IT COMPLETLY. ANY SUGESTIONS ON ENGINE & TRANNY UPGRADES FOR THIS YEAR? ALSO SUSPENSION/LIFT KITS AVAILABLE FOR IT. THX

BRYAN

HELLO ALL!! JUST ANOTHER NEW GUY HERE TO THIS FORUM. I HAVE AN 88 PATHFINDER AND LOOKING TO REBUILD IT FROM GROUND UP. CAR WAS PURCHASED BRAND NEW BY MY PARENTS IN 88 AND BEEN WITH US EVER SINCE. I WANT TO REBUILD IT COMPLETLY. ANY SUGESTIONS ON ENGINE & TRANNY UPGRADES FOR THIS YEAR? ALSO SUSPENSION/LIFT KITS AVAILABLE FOR IT. THX

BRYAN

First, welcome to the forums. Second, please conduct some of your own research by using the SEARCH feature. Yes, I know it can be pain (isn't the best search function I've ever used), but you will eventually find some VERY good information.

In terms of upgrades, it really depends on what your looking for and in what condition your Pathfinder is currently in. Transmission swaps seem to be done regularly, and there are definately a few on this forum which have also done engine swaps and serious engine work on their VG30's. Lifts vary, of course, from your 2-3in body lifts to 3" +/- suspension lifts. Kits are available from AC (4x4parts.com), Calmini, and Rough Country. Using Jeep Grand Cherokee coils in the rear is also a (cheaper) alternative. Those are all pretty simple to install, and to go more then a combined 6" total lift (3" body and 3" suspension) requires serious work (i.e. SAS swap with custom fab work).

Again, do a search and you will find detailed information on things I just mentioned.

Edited by rustyole88pathy

The Pathfinder is inherently gutless, so unless you want to spend your inheritance, don't bother modifying the running gear at all. If it needs to be fixed, fix it. You probably have an auto so put in a cooler for that.

You would be better off spending your hard earned putting in a live axle and a body lift. This solves two of the larger issues the Pathfinder has..... 1, and this can be costly for the Pathy owner that goes off road, you will be able to go off road and not destroy your steering components, and 2, you will be able to fit decent size tyres so you can go off road, 33's are now starting to look small now mind you, but you can still 4wd on them quite nicely. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than 32's if you are serious and really want to go 4wding.

Like rusty said- look through all the dialog here. There is more Pathfinder information here than you will find anywhere on the internet; especially for those not building a rock crawler, but want a solid 4x. You will learn so much about the truck by just reading through stuff. Have fun; and remember there are many knowledgeable people on here to answer questions as they come. That's great that the Pathy has always been in your family, I wish I'd inherit one like that.