Steering slop

Tincan4X4

I have a decent amount of play in the steering. Bushings and tie rods look ok. Cant see that any of the arms are bent nor any prob with the CL.

I grabbed the steering column shaft at the gearbox and I am able to rotate the shaft about a 1/8-1/4"(rough estimate) before it will engage and start to turn.

Is this normal or do I need a new gearbox?

Thanks.

I grabbed the steering column shaft at the gearbox and I am able to rotate the shaft about a 1/8-1/4"(rough estimate) before it will engage and start to turn.
Dunno if its normal or not, but mine does the same thing. Are you sure it's not the CL? It's really common and you wouldn't be able to "see" a problem with it. I wasted a brand new one on the first mild trail I drove down after I put it on. The TRE holes get egged out a little and poof, roached CL. L&P doesn't exist anymore, but Hooha is taking limited orders on modified CL's and there's always $Calmini$. Anyway if you get a new CL and it doesn't fix your problems I'll owe you a beer.

Dunno if its normal or not, but mine does the same thing. Are you sure it's not the CL? It's really common and you wouldn't be able to "see" a problem with it. I wasted a brand new one on the first mild trail I drove down after I put it on. The TRE holes get egged out a little and poof, roached CL. L&P doesn't exist anymore, but Hooha is taking limited orders on modified CL's and there's always $Calmini$. Anyway if you get a new CL and it doesn't fix your problems I'll owe you a beer.

L&P doesnt exhist anymore? Bummer, I was looking at their site yesterday. I was looking to get the stage 3 kit.

Other than hooha and Calmini, are there any other companies I can look for for beefier steering components?

Thanks for the info, Id rather it be the CL than the gearbox.

Nope...that's about it for our steering upgrades. hoohaa's is exactly like L&P in terms of design. Though, he only does the CL. No gussetted pitman or idler arms. Though, I have since seen a couple of instances where the gussetting on those arms caused CL failure. But that's a long story.....

I'm running hoohaa's centerlink, with stock Idler and pitman arms, and a simple idler arm brace. I've had no issues with it, and have done quite a bit of wheeling.

Calmini's kit is a nice one....totally different design....and fully rebuildable. Though, the issue is, from what I've seen on Xterra's, at least, it needs rebuilding quite often.

Nope...that's about it for our steering upgrades. hoohaa's is exactly like L&P in terms of design. Though, he only does the CL. No gussetted pitman or idler arms. Though, I have since seen a couple of instances where the gussetting on those arms caused CL failure. But that's a long story.....

I'm running hoohaa's centerlink, with stock Idler and pitman arms, and a simple idler arm brace. I've had no issues with it, and have done quite a bit of wheeling.

Calmini's kit is a nice one....totally different design....and fully rebuildable. Though, the issue is, from what I've seen on Xterra's, at least, it needs rebuilding quite often.

Thanks, is there a website for Hoohaa? Ill check it out.