Screaming Noise..

Hud

So I headed out this morning to get some dirt on the new truck and about 2 miles before the entrance my (just rebuilt auto tranny) started slipping BAD.... around 40-50 mph the tac went up to 6000 and would slam into gear and then I had to play the gas to get it to shift back down...

And to top that off there is a hideous screaming noise coming from somewhere.... so I pulled over and it was still making the screaming noise???

Do you think this noise is from the tranny or is this a bigger problem.... I just had all the belts replaced but it does'nt sound like a belt...

I'm definately taking this back to the shop that rebuilt the tranny.... but still don't understand the screaming noise.... could this be engine trouble or do trannys make those noises sometimes... If so I've never heard it...

I checked the oil and it actually looked a little over filled....it was about a 1/4 inch above the H on the dip stick....

I'm lost... :blink:

Edited by Hud

trans........... sounds like some of the trans clutch's weren't installed correctly or they slapped the old clutches back in.

:blink:

Edited by Slick

trans........... sounds like some of the trans clutch's weren't installed correctly or they slapped the old clutches back in.

:blink:

That would suck being that I paid for all new clutches.....maybe thats there shtick... how would I ever really know?

Tranny. Do you have an external cooler installed?

Yah, I had them put one in when I had the rebuild done... also had them bypass the stock one like I've read here...

OK, good...at least they can rule out low fluid flow or line pressure from a clogged cooler and try to pin it on you. Now they know it's internal and they were the last ones to touch it. :D Did they replace the torque converter when they rebuilt it or no?

OK, good...at least they can rule out low fluid flow or line pressure from a clogged cooler and try to pin it on you. Now they know it's internal and they were the last ones to touch it. :D Did they replace the torque converter when they rebuilt it or no?

Yah, the torque converter was replaced... I took it down to him this morning and he said to drive the crap out of it for the next two days and then bring it back to him on thursday... I guess his speculation is that some fillings from the new clutches got somewhere in the fly wheel and caused the screaming noise....and that this was just a fluke.... a one time deal... :shrug:

So when I take it back to him on Thursday he's going to drop the pan and the open up the torque converter and check all the bearings and see if there's any fillings in the fluid that might have caused it....

You don't HAVE a flywheel. Even if you did, I can hardly imagine clutch bits going from the inside of the transmission to the outside to get caught in it. Wow.

So the speculation is that there are filings or shreds or clutch bits in the fluid, and the first thing he says is to drive the crap out of it, not to change the fluid? Wow again.

You don't HAVE a flywheel. Even if you did, I can hardly imagine clutch bits going from the inside of the transmission to the outside to get caught in it. Wow.

So the speculation is that there are filings or shreds or clutch bits in the fluid, and the first thing he says is to drive the crap out of it, not to change the fluid? Wow again.

Well, I think its obvious that I know nothing about auto trannys... I did'nt think there was a flywheel anywhere in one but I really don't know crap about what goes inside these things.... I guess this will be my schooling on it....

However none of what happened on Sunday has happened since... Maybe it is just a fluke... But I guess the good news is that is under warranty and they were the last ones in there....

I knew I should've taken Auto shop in High School...

Now I'm saying WOW....

Thanks 88

Edited by Hud