Ticking noise when I press the gas pedal ('94 PF)

BobLoblaw

I just bought a used 94 PF XE with 215K on it. When my PF first starts, and I begin driving and going through the gears (standard Trans), there is a strange kind of spinning, 'lawnmower', putting noise when I push on the gas. The noise increases as I push the gas harder. Actually, it sounds like a baseball card hitting the spokes of a bicycle.

The noise seems to dissipate and after a while (10mins approx). Have you guys heard this before? What is causing this noise and how do I fix it?

Oh and a quick second question: The ABS indicator light is constantly on on my console. Is it suppost to be on all the time?

ABS, no. There's a malfunction in the ABS system

The Ticking you're hearing is the exhaust manifolds. Probably a couple of broken studs, possibly just loose. Search around, it's a VERY common issue.

ABS, no. There's a malfunction in the ABS system

The Ticking you're hearing is the exhaust manifolds. Probably a couple of broken studs, possibly just loose. Search around, it's a VERY common issue.

Howdy, this is my first post on NPORA

My 92 pathy has the same problem, has a ticking noise at idle, and gets louder/faster as i accelerate. Simon's description is dead on with my scenario. Broken stud at front of engine on passenger side. I thought it was coming from my power steering pump, but that was before i noticed the broken stud.

DSC01335.jpg

Nice forum, ill be sticking around.

GarrettQ

3 things:

1. Thank you so much for your help

2. Malfunction in my ABS system? What kind of malfunction? The brakes seem to work fine right now. Haven't felt the ABS come on yet.....but it's hard to test before the snow falls. What can I do to fix this problem?

3. Is this broken stud easy to replace? What size of bolt? How do I get the broken piece out? Do I need to get under the truck to replace this?

1. You're welcome

2. Could be anything. Your brakes will function just fine with the ABS indicator on, however, without ABS. Our trucks only have rear ABS anyways, and I've never "felt" mine engage. Pezzy's R50, mind you, has full, 4 wheel ABS, and when it engages, you KNOW it.

3. The studs can be easy to replace. A bit of a tight spot, and time consuming, but not "difficult". However, if it's broken inside the block, then not so much, as they'd typically have to be drilled out. You don't use bolts, typically. What most people have done is replaced them with the upgraded 300zx studs.

Okay, I'm ready to try this. Where can I get these 300zx Turbo Exhaust Manifold bolts from? How much are they? How many do I need? You don't happen to have few kicking around do you? :huh:

Edited by BobLoblaw