Brake problems

Tweaked

Alright, I think this may be my first post so hello.

I've got a 92 Pathfinder with 4 wheel disc brakes and rear ABS I have seen in my searches something about LSV but I don't beleive I have that option as I can't see it anywhere on the passenger side frame rail all I see is the ABS valve. When I first got the truck (free from in-laws) the brakes were dragging so I put on a set of old calipers a freind gave me...we weren't sure if they still worked but it was worth a shot. After putting them on I bled the front brakes and had pretty much no damn pedal. So we bled the entire system, still nothing. So I put the old calipers on just to make sure I could get pressure again...nothing. So I replaced the master cylinder....bled it and the entire system...still no brake pressure so last week I went out and bought two brand new calipers, bled the system and still no damned pressure.

I'm thinking its somehow the booster as when the truck is off when I pump the pedal it builds a little pressure but if I leave it for 30 secs it looses all of it and when I start the truck the idle goes wonky if I keep pumping the brakes and it will build very little pressure and then if I'm off the pedal for even a couple seconds it will go right to the floor. Also I sprayed some water right where the master and the booster meet up and if I have someone pumping the brakes I can see it bubbling like air is being pushed out.

So am I right do I have a bad brake booster?

...oh and I did inspect the check valve going to the booster it is only allowing air one way.

Edited by Tweaked

According to manual (since I've never bled ABS). Disconnect ground and actuator connector from ABS unit with ignition off.

Then bleed in the following order.

1 load sensing valve (if equipped)

2 left rear

3 right rear

4 left front

5 right front

6 Rear ABS Actuator

The rest is normal bleeding. If you went thru those steps and still have problem......then someone else needds to pipe in since I am not sure.

Alright so I replaced the Booster and still have the same damned problem. I think this truck is going to the scrap yard unless someone can tell me what the hell the problem is.

Um, have you replaced the master cylinder yet?

Ok, so you bled the entire system. Did you remove the rear drums and inspect the wheel cylinders and verify they are not leaking? When you bled the brakes, did you make sure there was no air coming out the bleeders. Make sure you start in the right rear (as if you were sitting in the drivers seat). It sound like air in the system or a leak. Double check all of the obvious and make sure you didnt miss anything. Oh, is the pedal stiff when you push on it after bleeding without the engine running? And last idea, did you verify vacuum to the booster? Check those and get back.

When I have to bleed brakes when I am not at work, I use a piece of hose and put it into a clean, clear plasitc bottle and fill it with brake fluid so the hose end is submerged. When you bleed the brakes, you can watch the fluid and air go into the bottle. It also helps to keep air from going back in.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

So I put the old calipers on just to make sure I could get pressure again...nothing. So I replaced the master cylinder....bled it and the entire system...still no brake pressure so last week I went out and bought two brand new calipers, bled the system and still no damned pressure.

Looks like he did....as well as some other parts

Um, have you replaced the master cylinder yet?

The irony here is that your trying to make me look stupid with your comment but had you read the 1st paragraph of the 1st post you would have saved you, yourself looking foolish.

But thanks for the smartass comment. :thumbsdown:

Ok, so you bled the entire system. Did you remove the rear drums and inspect the wheel cylinders and verify they are not leaking? When you bled the brakes, did you make sure there was no air coming out the bleeders. Make sure you start in the right rear (as if you were sitting in the drivers seat). It sound like air in the system or a leak. Double check all of the obvious and make sure you didnt miss anything. Oh, is the pedal stiff when you push on it after bleeding without the engine running? And last idea, did you verify vacuum to the booster? Check those and get back.

When I have to bleed brakes when I am not at work, I use a piece of hose and put it into a clean, clear plasitc bottle and fill it with brake fluid so the hose end is submerged. When you bleed the brakes, you can watch the fluid and air go into the bottle. It also helps to keep air from going back in.

Yeah I bled the entire system (in the following order)

The ABS valve on the passenger side framerail

Rear pass side

Rear drivers side

Front pass side

Front drivers side

and then bled the ABS valve again. ( I bled it first because I had bled the system a couple times before this without realizing the ABS valve was there, so I did it once first and once afterwards) I did bleed it untill I saw no air comming out and I used one of those bleeder systems with a tube going into a bottle. No air bubbles. I haven't checked the rear but they are not drums they are discs

The peddle will stiffen up a bit when you pump it with the engine off but if you wait a couple seconds it looses the pressure and you can push the pedal to the floor again. The thing that is frustrating is that none of this was happening untill I changed the front calipers, there was plenty of pedal pressure but the calipers were dragging. As soon as I replaced them there has been no pressure since.

The irony here is that your trying to make me look stupid with your comment but had you read the 1st paragraph of the 1st post you would have saved you, yourself looking foolish.

But thanks for the smartass comment. :thumbsdown:

Well, given the long run-on sentences that you use, who can be blamed for just skimming it instead of trying to read the whole thing and falling asleep in the process?

Did you properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installation?

Well, given the long run-on sentences that you use, who can be blamed for just skimming it instead of trying to read the whole thing and falling asleep in the process?

Did you properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installation?

My god, I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

Yes I bench bled the master cylinder before it was installed, it seems like air in the lines to me but I'll be damned if I can find where. That and the flippin ABS light is on and has been since after I started this process.

Easy Fellas, no big deal. We are just trying to help each other out. Fixing anything over the net is a little tough.

Anyways, Tweaked, how much brake fluid have you used so far with all of the bleeding? Definatly sounds like air still. It may take a while manually bleeding to get the air out. I wouldnt even piss with the ABS bleeders. Just bleed at the wheels.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

You mention replacing your calipers with another set (not being sure they were good) and then going back to your old set. Let's say for arguments sake both set were seized, you would not be able to bleed properly and you would probably see a mushy if not no existent pedal. Make sure none of your pins (front or rear calipers) are seized.

Also I had one of my rear lines go bad once and had to take my master cylinder appart (seals and all), reasemble and then it bench bled perfect. Not sure if my bypass valve had seized when the line broke, but I could not get a good peddal before and when I re-bled the master and then re-bled the brakes everything panned out.....maybe just weird gremlins....

Easy Fellas, no big deal. We are just trying to help each other out. Fixing anything over the net is a little tough.

Anyways, Tweaked, how much brake fluid have you used so far with all of the bleeding? Definatly sounds like air still. It may take a while manually bleeding to get the air out. I wouldnt even piss with the ABS bleeders. Just bleed at the wheels.

Putting a measurment on the amount of brake fluid is hard but I've gone through probably about 4 or 5 master cylinders reseviors worth (but don't worry I never let it run below the min mark on the resevior) You say ABS 'bleeders' is there more than one becuase all I could see was one bleeder valve that stuck out towards the middle of the vehicle. I really don't see any more air comming out though, I've bled plenty of brakes before. I've got 3 other vehicles (Probe GT, Mazda MX6, and an F-150) and have never had this kind of issue before with brake work.

Very frustrating.

You mention replacing your calipers with another set (not being sure they were good) and then going back to your old set. Let's say for arguments sake both set were seized, you would not be able to bleed properly and you would probably see a mushy if not no existent pedal. Make sure none of your pins (front or rear calipers) are seized.

Also I had one of my rear lines go bad once and had to take my master cylinder appart (seals and all), reasemble and then it bench bled perfect. Not sure if my bypass valve had seized when the line broke, but I could not get a good peddal before and when I re-bled the master and then re-bled the brakes everything panned out.....maybe just weird gremlins....

I've got brand new caliper on right now (both fronts) I traced the lines from the master cylinder to all 4 corners and they are all dry from what I can see so I'm fairly certain it's not a cracked line. I suppose I could go ahead and re-bleed the master again for the hell of it and see what happens.

• 2 years later...

I've got brand new caliper on right now (both fronts) I traced the lines from the master cylinder to all 4 corners and they are all dry from what I can see so I'm fairly certain it's not a cracked line. I suppose I could go ahead and re-bleed the master again for the hell of it and see what happens.

OK so im new here but not new to Pathys. I have a 95 and I ran into this same exact problem this week and i was going nuts trying to figure this out. I've been on every forum and checked every page on the net and this is the only place i could find another with the same problem. I was frustrated to find this post was never resolved! So I am going to resolve it for others who use the search feature.

Ok so same thing i had a stuck caliper and as soon as i replaced it i lost my pedal and never got it back. Bled a google times, Master cylinder, Bled some more, bashed my face against the garage floor, bled some more until i had enough and was almost defeated. Then my dumb ass finally found it. When replacing both calipers MAKE SURE the bleeder is at the TOP! If you put the passenger side on the drivers side the bleeder will be on the bottom and you will never get the air out!

I hope this helps just one person out there.