Getting timing belt replaced...what all needed?

Andrew

I have a 93 SE with 165K on it that I just bought.

I found a guy to do my timing belt and water pump this weekend, he is only charging 3 hours at 50 an hour.

Ive been looking online at autozone, napa, etc. just to price out the parts. Some list just the timing belt, some list

it with a tensioner. WHich one do I need on this page? http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/N...&SubCatId=1

Also which water pump do I need off this page? http://www.napaautoparts.com/MasterPages/N...&SubCatId=4

Do I need anything else

besides coolant? Thanks for your help in advance.

Your links are showing up as generic menu pages.

You'll need the following:

Timing belt

Tensioner

Water Pump (specify 4WD or 2WD)

Thermostat

Optional:

Cam seals

Crank seal

Upper and lower radiator hoses

1 Gal. Coolant (Not needed if you drain yours into a clean bucket)

It'll bump up the labor cost, but I'd at least do the cam seals while everythings disassembled.

Be sure this guy knows what he's doing. I bought mine from a friend who had his friend help change the t-belt. He said it sounded like crap when they first started it up. They tore it down again and read the book and got it right...not. It was a tooth off when I got around to changing it (I always wondered why I couldn't get the idle set right). The friend had built and raced a Pro Stock Camaro back in the day and also wrenched on his own late model dirt track car at the time. He knew alot about engines, just not the VG30.

You should hang around while the guy does the job so you can learn how to do it yourself next time and save $$$. If you have basic hand tools and a weekend it's really not that hard to do, just scary the first time. :skull: