Differential Full Of Water

Orangetang

I must have accidentally pulled the front diff breather hose off when I did my engine swap, and not noticed. Driving through a river a few weeks ago was probably when this happened. I drained my diff fluid today with the suspicion that I had water in it.... I've been out of town for a week and a bit and last night it was making some whining sounds in 4High...

Anyway, I drained it today and sure enough the oil contaminated. It had the clarity of chocolate milk, but was a bit thicker and still had the orange color and smell of gear oil. I refilled it with Petro Canada Traxon E 75w90 synthetic gear oil, the stuff we have at work in a 205L drum. 4High/Low still has a whine that wasn't around before. What do you figure has given in it, or might the gears just have worn a little..... Is there anything I should do further? I'll probably drain it again and refill in a couple of days to make sure all the water is out.

Sounds like you need to stay away from water with your luck!!! :laugh:

I really can't comment on what to expect for the damage but you can imagine what rust can do with all the moving parts. There's a chance that a layer of rust could have built up on the R&P which would make the gear mesh tighter and contribute to the whining. It's really hard to say without having a look at it, but with as easy as it is to pull the front diff (especially considering you've already pulled the engine) that's what I would do.

Sounds like you need to stay away from water with your luck!!! :laugh:

I really can't comment on what to expect for the damage but you can imagine what rust can do with all the moving parts. There's a chance that a layer of rust could have built up on the R&P which would make the gear mesh tighter and contribute to the whining. It's really hard to say without having a look at it, but with as easy as it is to pull the front diff (especially considering you've already pulled the engine) that's what I would do.

I'll take a look when I get the chance. Thanks! On the note of water and how to wreck equipment... Did you ever catch my post of my friends SKi-Doo sinking in a pond? The pond was less than Km from where I hydro-locked and bent my front crossmember and less than 2Km from where I drowned the diff. Maybe just that area is rough on equipment in general :)