Halfshaft Not Clearing The Hub

taro

Got the new halfshafts and balljoints on. Changed the rotors and pads on the right front. New rotor is on the left front thanks to a thread file. Now my problem is that I'm about 2-3mm from being able to put my snap ring back on. I made sure my bearings in the hub were tight before setting the preload. I haven't taken the halfshaft of again yet. One thought is to shave down the thrust washer, but I'm hoping there is a better way. Thanks, Taro

Hi,

Are you sure that the new half shafts are identical to the ones you have removed i.e. same length, same dimension for circlip slot? I have replaced half shafts on an old Ford in the past with replacements from a Dealership to find the circlip wouldn't fit. After a lot of frustrated wasted hours I stripped the wheel station down and checked the old one against the new to find the circlip slot was 3mm out!!

Hi,

Are you sure that the new half shafts are identical to the ones you have removed i.e. same length, same dimension for circlip slot? I have replaced half shafts on an old Ford in the past with replacements from a Dealership to find the circlip wouldn't fit. After a lot of frustrated wasted hours I stripped the wheel station down and checked the old one against the new to find the circlip slot was 3mm out!!

Ugghh, thanks for the tip. I'll go take it out (again) and check it against the old one. :ill:

Well it turned out that the little circular spring for the spindle bearing seal came out of the seal and wedged itself between the halfshaft and spindle. After I put the spring back into place, everything fit like it was supposed to. Thanks again.