Auto To Manual Locking Hubs

cohen

I still have automatic hubs and I have been thinking about converting them to Warn Premiums, but I figured I'd wait until these blow out. I don't go 4 wheeling every weekend but I go often, is there any disadvantage to keeping the automatics besides less MPGs and taking 2 or 3 rotations to lock in, or will it mess anything else up if they blow? Also, is the write up in the How To section for the 90-95 the same as the 87-89 minus the different part #?

Edited by cohen

Yes, the write up is the same. It's very easy.

The disadvantage to auto hubs is that they unlock, and relock as you change direction. So, if you're stuck, and are trying to go forward and backwards to get out, they're unlocking and relocking each time you change direction. Otherwise, the Warn Premiums are just stronger, and less prone to breaking, not that the stock autos are terrible in that regard.

I four wheel very regularly, and really actually don't mind the auto hubs. The only problem I've had is one that wouldn't unlock after running some trails in Moab one weekend. A close inspection shows that they actually engage very quickly and securely with only a fraction of a turn of the axleshaft. Yes, they do briefly pass through the unlocked position as you change direction, but I've never noticed it as an issue in sand, rocks, or mud. The only fragile part is the little clutch mechanism that unlocks the hub when you are back in 2WD, and that is what got mangled in mine. I simply removed the clutch parts from both sides, and finished my weekend of four wheeling. If you remove the clutch parts they will simply never be disengaged, they will stay either locked forward or reverse, whichever was the last direction you were going before you shifted back to 2WD. I did replace the clutch parts in mine with junkyard parts($15), but it really wasn't necessary for an off road only rig.

I may eventually change over to the manuals, but until the autos actually break hard parts, I'll save my money.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I only changed mine out because I had an auto hub that was randomly attempting to engage, sometimes at highway speeds....you can only imagine the racket that thing made.

B)-->

QUOTE(Geoff B @ Sep 18 2007, 11:22 PM) 258912[/snapback]
If you remove the clutch parts they will simply never be disengaged, they will stay either locked forward or reverse, whichever was the last direction you were going before you shifted back to 2WD.

Just an FYI this is not quite true. They will be engaged weather you move forward or reversed if the clutch is out of them. I took mine out and ran them without the clutches for a year and a half with no problems reverse or forward.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geoff B @ Sep 18 2007, 11:22 PM) 258912[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you remove the clutch parts they will simply never be disengaged, they will stay either locked forward or reverse, whichever was the last direction you were going before you shifted back to 2WD.

Just an FYI this is not quite true. They will be engaged weather you move forward or reversed if the clutch is out of them. I took mine out and ran them without the clutches for a year and a half with no problems reverse or forward.

That's what I said, or at least what I meant. They will always remain engaged. Perhaps I wasn't clear. When you are in 4WD, the hubs are locked in by the torque input of the axle shaft, either forward or reverse. When you change direction in 4WD the axleshaft moves the dogs through a neutral position and back locked again. When you shift to 2WD, and there is no torque input to change direction the locking mechanism, and no clutch to pull it back to a neutral position from the rotation of the wheels, they will stay locked all the time in whatever position forward or reverse, locked is locked. Your front axleshafts will turn all the time regardless of direction of travel without the clutch pieces in.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I only changed mine out because I had an auto hub that was randomly attempting to engage, sometimes at highway speeds....you can only imagine the racket that thing made.

Yep, it's a terrible noise that'll make you grit your teeth.