Water Pump

cohen

I'm going to be replacing my timing belt soon so I'm thinking I should change my water pump also. Is there anything else I should change while I have everything apart? It has 186,xxx miles and I don't know when the last time anything was changed except for what I have already done myself which is nothing major; oil, and filters is pretty much it engine wise. Also, how much should I be looking at spending?

I'm going to be replacing my timing belt soon so I'm thinking I should change my water pump also. Is there anything else I should change while I have everything apart? It has 186,xxx miles and I don't know when the last time anything was changed except for what I have already done myself which is nothing major; oil, and filters is pretty much it engine wise. Also, how much should I be looking at spending?

See the many timing belt change threads on this board. In short - thermostat, water pump, crankshaft gear, both woodruff keys, crank seal, cam seals.

I havent heard of changing the crank shaft gear before but I guess it makes sense if you see any missing or broken teeth. I would definetely change the t-belt,water pump,thermostat and crank and cam seals if leaking also I would change the coolant bypass hose, It is a small hose back behind the cam gears.

After doing research, I figured I would be ok changing the belt, water pump, thermostat, coolant bypass hose, and cam and crank shaft seals is they are leaking.

Also, What should I do if a bolt breaks, knowing my truck that will most likely happen.

Well you will have to cross that bridge when and if it happens. My advice to you is to do a search on this forum and get all the information and write-ups that you can on the t-belt job. Then GEt all the tools you are going to need (dont forget the 27mm socket and breaker bar). Next just remember where everything goes like all the screws holding the timing belt covers in place as some are different sizes. While your dong the job you will want to take out the radiator for extra room so you might as well flush it out and clean it real good. You are also going to be taking off all the belts too so you might as well change those unless you have already done that recently. I did the job on my 97 R50 and it was not too bad. Just be careful not to move the cam sprockets once the belt is off or you will have to re-time it. Oh and one more thing you are probably going to want to change your timing belt tensioner while your in there. Good luck and remember this forum is always here to answer questions.