Artistic/ornamental Welding

ILoveMyPatty

Well as some know, I've recently been accepted into the Welding level C course at my local University. I start August 27th. My dad doesn't want me doing any sort of industrial welding, he's unsure about the health risks involved. I have been thinking lately and I had the idea of doing some sort of artistic or ornamental custom welding. Balconys, railings, benches, tables, chairs, gates and fences. That type of stuff.

Does anyone know of someone that does this? I know people do it, I was just wondering if anyone here knows someone personally. I'm wondering about the success of a business that does this. Worth it?

the guy down the street from dave's house does thats tuff.. custom fences, gates, fireplace grates, etc. does nice work..... don't think he does it as a full time job tho.....

Here in Arizona there is a big market for atistic welding and metal sculpting. In places like Scottsdale it is used for bus stops to make the city look nicer... It does especially well in northern Arizona such as Payson, Prescott & Flagstaff where there is already a strong art background to the city. I had a friend that worked for a company making artristic metal furniture from bookends to head boards. I dont know what the market is for this sort of thing where you are but I think that one could make a living off of it here. Good Luck! :D