Auto Trans Prob

husky570

Today the wife was driving the pathfinder and she went to take off and the automatic transmission made a whirring noise and then it stopped and the rig would not move, I came and fired it up , put it in drive and it makes a very distinct whirring noise but would move when put in drive or reverse, but after about 2-3 minutes the vehicle stops making the whirring noise and then will not move when put in drive or reverse. So I shut off the rig and fire it up and the whirring noise occurs and the rig will move when put in drive , but after about 2-3 minutes the whirring noise will stop and im dead in the water again.-------what is going on here??

Something either broke or stripped out. I've heard of one person experiencing a stripped-out torque converter being their problem. It could also be completely internal, I can't tell from here.

Thats what came to my mind--either the torque converter or bands--but the strange thing is it will operate for the first few minutes after starting vehicle, but after that it will be completely immobile, but I could shut it off and immeaditly fire it back up and it will operate again for a few minutes and then will become immobile again.

Thats what came to my mind--either the torque converter or bands--but the strange thing is it will operate for the first few minutes after starting vehicle, but after that it will be completely immobile, but I could shut it off and immeaditly fire it back up and it will operate again for a few minutes and then will become immobile again.

Problem fixed!! Brother tore into it last night --- just a plugged filter, put all back together and works fine, glad it was something simple, anyways FYI for some one else who may experience a similar prob.