Temperature Sending Unit

beatle1

So I finally get into my 97. I put on an aftermarket tranny cooler, inline tranny filter, and do a complete tranny fluid flush. I also had my temp gauge from my last pathy that i wanted to install on this one. The old pathy had a port on the fluid pan that I could just plug the sending unit into. The new pathy does not have one. So I thought about putting a brass T connector inline with the fluid and putting the gauge in there. The first T was too small because with the sending unit in it, there was little room for the fluid to flow. So I get a 3/8 inch T connector, and two barbs to connect to the hose and hook it up but fluid started coming out where the threads meet on the end barbs. I tighten it a little, no luck. Took it to ACE; they suggested taping the threads, I was hesitant, but the tape said it could withstand 500F ad a host of chemicals. Still got a leak from the connector at the threads. Is this a lost cause? What am I doing wrong?

I really don't need o know the actual temp but just use the gauge to tell me if something has gone wrong by knowing the usual temp it reads.

Also, changed the rear diff. fluid and topped off the transfer case. Oil change and filter. (Then I did the oil, coolant, and rejet on my bike) I was an oily mess!

Thanks!

I bet JB Weld would hold. Perhaps the fitting you got was manufactured slightly out of round or was somehow subjected to pressure enough to deform it somehow and you just need a different one. *shrug*

Thanks again 88. I did entertain the idea that the fitting is just not good. I will try the Jb weld with this one though.