service engine soon light

Guest Darwin

Guest Darwin
:shrug::shrug: :help: I just had a new engine put in my 98 Pathfinder and it runs great but there is one problem, the service engine soon light will come on every so often and stay on for a while and then just go out. I have not taken it any where yet to be looked at because every time I get to the point where it really bothers me it will just stop coming on. I don't know, I still love my Pathfinder though. Anybody got anything on this?

Outside of buying a code reader to catch the codes, you might want to get used to using the diagnostic mode selector screw on your PCM. You can turn the screw to flash the codes on the dash. It's a little tough to reach it the first time since its located on top of the PCM up behind the dash, but once you get the hang of it you should be able to read the codes anytime with no special tools.

The 96-up gas caps have a reputation for not sealing properly and causing the ECU to think the fuel system is leaking vapors from the cap, thereby causing the Check Engine light to come on. It's in there somewhere, I think. I'll make sure.

edit: Added info to "Pathfinder Common Problems, Check Here First" sticky post in The Garage.

Guest Jolly

Alot of times, Autozone will pull the codes for you for free. I'm dealing with a SES light codes 1441/1447 right now. I haven't gone the gas cap route yet, cause my charcoal filter busted and sent charcoal pellets through the EVAP system... I was able to clear out the charcoal and the light went out for a couple days, but it is back on... Probably residual carbon, or a faulty valve somewhere. Still troubleshooting!