Another Dumb Question

barthel

Ok, not like I don't already feel stupid enough for that alternator/bolt issue, I have another problem I need help with.

I've got the front of the engine apart to do the timing belt, water pump, etc. Everything came off fine, and I'm trying to put on the new belt. Well, it won't go on. It will go around any 2 pulleys, but won't make the 3rd. I've backed the tensioner off as far as it will go, and still no luck.

Is there some trick to this, or something I'm not doing?

:bow:

It doesn't slip on like a fan belt. There's hardly any slack at all even before you adjust the tensioner. You can't put it fully on two gears and slip it on the third. One way is to put the inside edge about 1/4 to 1/2 on the crank and passenger cam gears and leave 1/2 to 3/4 of the side facing you off, then match the teeth up on the last gear, ease it on and work it the rest of the way on to each gear. Whatever you do don't try to pry it on. You'll most likely stretch it or rip a tooth off. It might not seem like it, but it will fit.

Just had the same problem! I had two different belts which were supposetly for the Pathys, but one was not even had same numbers. So make sure the belt is the correct one.

It doesn't slip on like a fan belt. There's hardly any slack at all even before you adjust the tensioner. You can't put it fully on two gears and slip it on the third. One way is to put the inside edge about 1/4 to 1/2 on the crank and passenger cam gears and leave 1/2 to 3/4 of the side facing you off, then match the teeth up on the last gear, ease it on and work it the rest of the way on to each gear. Whatever you do don't try to pry it on. You'll most likely stretch it or rip a tooth off. It might not seem like it, but it will fit.

ohh yea i forgot about that too

OK,

I got it on,Thanks much!

Have another little issue that I'm not sure is OK or not.

When I got it on, all the timing marks lined up @#1TDC. I adjusted the tension, double checked the marks and proceeded to rotate the engine. Nothing slipped, everything seemed to go OK, but when the timing marks came around again, they were exactly 1 tooth off.

WTF?

Don't worry about the marks on the belt lining up. It'll have to spin around quite a few times for them to line up again. It's the marks on the gears you should look at to check. IIRC, they should all line back up every two revolutions of the crank.