Transmission HELP!

Airborne82

I know I am probably going to beat a dead horse hear but, hear is my situation. I have a '92 SE 4X4 AT. My g/f is driving down the road and with no notice, no bang, no lurch no nothing, she said it felt like someone had put on the brakes. Kind of like she was towing something heavy and it was dragging her down. She pulled over and gave me a call. My first thought: transmission. I did go over the 30,000 mile recommended flush but, the level was fine. I decided to go ahead and flush and fill following the instructions on here. Once completed, it would go into all gears just fine but, when you start moving, you can hear a grinding, crunching noise coming from underneath. I jacked the rear end up, put it in neutral and spun the back wheels by hand to eliminate the rear end and u-joints. No noise there. I left it jacked up and started it, put it in gear and yes, the sound is there. Tranny? TC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Put your transfer case in neutral and then put your rig in drive. If it's grinding it's probably your transfer case. If it's not then your probably looking transfer case. By puting your TC in neutral your tranny should be spinning free as if your rear wheels are off the ground while your TC is not moving.

Put your transfer case in neutral and then put your rig in drive. If it's grinding it's probably your [/b]transfer case.[/b] If it's not then your probably looking [/b]transfer case.[/b] By puting your TC in neutral your tranny should be spinning free as if your rear wheels are off the ground while your TC is not moving.

Ok. You confused me here? Did you mean transmission on one or the other?

Sorry. Yeah tranny if there's still grinding with the Tcase in neutral and transfer case if no grinding. 88 Has a point to it could be in your front dferential specialy if you have auto hubs. They are bad for causing grinding or whizzing noises when they go bad.

Edited by denisb

Well, after putting the TC in neutral and putting the tranny in drive, it is still making the grinding noise. Obviously it is my tranny. Anyone know any good tranny mechanics in or around Indianaplois?