Tacometer Acting Up

captainsae

The tach in my 1995 pathy seems to work fine at idle, but when the rpms get to around 1500 it just seems to freeze until the rpms get back down to @1500. Has anyone here had any luck fixing their tach? I would buy a new one at the dealer if I was sure it was indeed the tack. The only thing that happened right before it went out is when I was checking the autotragic transmission fluid, I noticed some melting of the wire harness cover where it was almost touching the exhaust manifold. So I checked the wires and wire-tied them away from the manifold. Maybe I'm getting some electrical interference? I took the wire-tie off and it did not help so it's probably just a coinsidence.

The tach in my 1995 pathy seems to work fine at idle, but when the rpms get to around 1500 it just seems to freeze until the rpms get back down to @1500. Has anyone here had any luck fixing their tach? I would buy a new one at the dealer if I was sure it was indeed the tack. The only thing that happened right before it went out is when I was checking the autotragic transmission fluid, I noticed some melting of the wire harness cover where it was almost touching the exhaust manifold. So I checked the wires and wire-tied them away from the manifold. Maybe I'm getting some electrical interference? I took the wire-tie off and it did not help so it's probably just a coinsidence.

Look close at the tip of the needle to see if it is not hanging on the faceplate marks. I had this problem on my speedometer; it would hang on every 5 mph mark. The fix was to remove the dash and carefully bend the needle away from the faceplate. It took quite a bit, close to 90 degrees, to keep it from touching.

Edited by Animal

I'll try the dash smack tonight! I didn't see any hanging. I'll keep my eyes out for a tach so we can get to the bottom of this once and for all. I'm still suspicious of interference in the wiring because it works perfect at idle.