Swirl Valve control failure

Guest killerbuzz65

Guest killerbuzz65

Hello to everyone. I'm having problems with my 03 Pathy

for the 3rd time in 7 months I have had a 'failure at swirl valve' diagnosed by my dealer. Basically the truck starts to buck at 2500 rpms when I accelerate. Is anyone else out there having this happen. I need to know what the heck is going on. Is it a

faulty part or are the technicians leaving something out of the explanation.

BTW ....what is a swirl valve...I am only a driver, not mechanically inclined

I will try to post this to the garage also :confused:

A swirl valve is basically just a simple butterfly valve located inside the engine's intake tract that causes the incoming air to swirl, as opposed to flowing straight in. It's supposed to make the air/fuel mixture "mix better". If the swirl valves are closing when they're supposed to stay open, that would cause your bucking while accelerating problem...

Can't say that I've ever heard of this particular problem before, sorry.

3 times without a fix sounds like a lemon law issue to me... check your pathy/Nissan owner's manuals - there should be one that has your state's particular consumer law pertaining to lemons - basically any vehicle that has a recurring problem fixed under warranty that doesn't get resolved. If you don't have that particular book - let me know I'll dig mine out from my 02 and get you a copy or pic or whatever.

• 5 years later...
A swirl valve is basically just a simple butterfly valve located inside the engine's intake tract that causes the incoming air to swirl, as opposed to flowing straight in. It's supposed to make the air/fuel mixture "mix better". If the swirl valves are closing when they're supposed to stay open, that would cause your bucking while accelerating problem...

Can't say that I've ever heard of this particular problem before, sorry.

Hi folks, sorry to bring up such an ancient post (from an ancient poster, nonetheless), but I experienced this exact same problem a couple weeks ago on an extremely hot day with my '03 VQ and was looking to see if anyone else had the same problem. Dealer said the solenoid was fine after numerous tests, and I haven't had a problem after @100 miles driving, but need to make sure, does this part fail frequently - should I buy a backup for those times when I'm 50 miles deep into the back country at 6PM (with bears, cougars and mosquitoes - oh my :hide: ) and need to do a quick field fix, or do you think this is a rare occurrence with this part?