swapping '88 rear onto '90?

fishead

So, just met a guy that has a rear end off a 1988 Pathfinder that he said he would give to me. I drive a 1990 Pathfinder SE-V6 4X4 with a burnt out LSD. Would this "new" 3rd member be compatible with my Pathfinder? Not sure I even know what I am talking about to be honest.

I don't know exactly what my gear ratio is, but the new one is 4.65. Does this mean that if I spin one tire once, the driveshaft spins 4.65 times? Gonna do some more searching on this. My pathfinder has 31" tires, and I am pretty sure it as stock with them.

Thanks for your help guys, I almost sold her 2 weeks ago because I counted up all the money I have poured in. Now I am getting excited about a locked rear end.

Chris.

Count the stud holes on both centersections. If they match, it should bolt in. Also, if your rear brakes are discs the new diff will have to be from a disc rear otherwise you'll have to take it all apart and remove the thrust block from the center of the diff. Disc rears have a spacer, drum rears don't, so drum axles won't fit into a disc centersection until you pull the block.