MSD Help

barthel

After reading Wheelman's thread about his MSD install, I was pretty confident I could handle the job. I'm using an MSD6A box, a Blaster SS coil and the tach adapter.

I've installed the box, hooked it up to the power supply and was ready to remove the coil and wire in the SS coil. Suddenly I'm not sure about the wiring situation. BTW, I have an '88 SE V6 Auto trans.

Wheelman noted to cut the blue and black wires coming from the amplifier(?), attaching them to the white and red wires on the MSD box, then reattach the black and orange wires from the MSD to the blue and black wires going back into the coil.

Well, the first problem is I'm not exactly sure what the amplifier is. Is it the little black box attached to the coil bracket?

Next, if I'm not going to use the stock coil, do i need to leave the amplifier in line?

Latly, my coil wire colors are different. Coming from what I assume is the amplifier I have a black and a green wire. Feeding what I assume is the amplifier is a blue w/Orange tracer, black w/white tracer, black w/purple tracer and a small white wire.

:help:

Thanks.

The wire that is coming from the amplifier is what connects to the stock coil. I don't know what color the pos and neg would be for the pre 90 models, but I know that the blue is neg and black is pos, or is it the other way around? I can't recall right now cause I cant go out right now. Why not get a electrical tester, turn the key to the acc and then connect the neg end of the tester to a good ground and pinch one of the wires to find out which is pos. As far as the wires are concerned for the msd, why not skip the connector to the stock coil and use the msd wires to connect to the blaster coil. you will need the amplifier, and I think what you are mean as amplifier is the stock coil. the amplifier comes before the coil, so clip the wires before the coil.

you will need the amplifier, and I think what you are mean as amplifier is the stock coil. the amplifier comes before the coil, so clip the wires before the coil.

Right. The stock coil is mounted on a bracket. Connected to the same bracket below and behind the coil is a small black square piece. It has a harness plug going into it with 4 or 5 wires, and 2 wires coming out that plug into the coil.

So, if the is the amplifier it needs to stay and I need to use the 2 wires coming out of it (the ones that go to the coil) to connect to the MSD system, then to the blaster coil, correct?

Sorry to be so dense, but this is my first real mod of a vehicle that didn't involve duct tape and bailing wire.

Thunderbox and Snake,

Thanks much for all your help guys.

Got done wiring in the complete MSD system tonight. I hooked up the battery, held my breath and turned the key.

It fired immediately and ran like a top!

Couldn't have done it without you, thanks a million!