leaf spring s.a.s on 91xe

aries247

i know most members that have a solid axle conversion on their pathfinders have used the coil spring setup but i am getting the front and rear ends out of a k-5 blazer with the leaf springs on both for free from a co-worker and was wondering if it is easy to convert the rear from coil to leaf spring. i would really like the input. if this needs to be moved to garage section sorry for the inconvience. i am especially interested in mookies setup.

Hello!

If I'm not mistaken, the Blazer is a passenger side front drop. It will only work if you go with a divorced T-case (some use the Nissan 720), but then you are getting into a ton of more work. The more you modify, the more maintenance and debugging you have to do - which usually equates into a lot of $$ being spent. Keep as much as you can stock.

As you know, I have leafs front and rear. I switched out my stock rear because of circumstances at the time I did it. Now, things are considerably cheaper, so keeping the stock rear is the only way to go. But I wanted 5.38s too :D

Now, it's straight forward to do. Just cut of the brackets for the links and then weld on perches and hangers. You also have to do some fiddly brake line work, fab up new parking brake hangers and try to get the K5 parking brake system to work. You can always use line locks or a d-shaft lock, but those are more money and more fab work.

I would say if you want to use leafs, use some that will offer the best solution to your type of driving and also what will offer the best to the compromise you want for streetability and for trail use. Match the spring rates.

What usually happens with these sort of projects is a ripple effect - change one thing and you have to change another, etc.

In a nutshell, leave the stock rear and save your self a lot of work, sas the front and you will find yourself wheeling much sooner.

Hope this helps, I rambled but I'm headed into a meeting soon so no time to proof read.

:beer:

yea, i am in the early stages of doing my SAS and honestly i just (not to bring up an argument on which is better) like the way leafs look. to me they seem to look more "hardcore" if you will :)

but since i am not going for looks, i am keeping the rear coiled because of simplicity and also because coils seem to function better anyway.....