clicking / thumping while steering to the left

IndianRider

hello all ..

1996 Pathy 4X4 Se Auto here .. 133K miles ..

just noticed this today ..when the pathy is in motion (eg: 45 mph) and i take a slight turn to the left i feel and hear a clikcing and/or thumping noise coming in from the steering and front end .. this noise goes away when i return the steering to center position ..

its not exactly like a clickin noise you get when the CV joint is busted on a front wheel drive vehicle but its similar .. i have no problem on right turns when the vehicle is in motion ..

also this does NOT happen when the vehile is stopped and turning slowly at 5mph when the steering wheel is totally locked to the left side .. only happens in motion at above 5 mph speeds ..

i thought it was the front CV joint but the clicking is still there even after i take my foot off the gas .. i know that the pathy front CV axles rotate all the time even in 2 wheel drive but if its the CV joint i thought that the clicking would go away when you step off the gas in a turn .. or is this only true in front wheel drive cars with cv joint problem .. ?

also with the motor turned off and the vehicle parked, the steering wheel kinda has excess play and when i turn the steering wheel to the left and let go suddenly to center position, i feel a thud or a click in the steering when it returns to the center position .. like there was excess play or something like that .. this doesnt happen when i do the same after turning the steering to the right and releasing it suddenly to the center position ..

what else can it be ? tie rods ? any tests that can be done to test steering components ... ?