weird humming noise

JoeBob

im reposting this from the manual transmission sticky thread

so something is giving me a hum noise (thought it was just the wind at first O.o) only in 3rd gear at about 35-40.. then when i push in the clutch it stops and starts again when i go into 4th and stops at like 45 mph...

I also noticed that it seems to only happen in the morning going to school and its usualy pretty cold outside. And it stops doing it after 5 or 10 minutes of driving. And it stays one pitch... i dont think how much i push down the gas pedal affects the noise. And I have dont know where its coming from except its somewhere in the front of me ( i think could be wrong since its really hard to tell)

thanks all,

joebob

Right off the bat is sounds like a throwout bearing. When was the clutch last replaced? It could also be one of the bearings in the manual transmission itself. I get noise in mine too until its warm. You may want to check the fluid in the trans itself. Maybe its clutch time.

I doubt its ever been replaced.. i just bought it last summer and its at 185k miles. I'm gonna change teh trans fluid this weekend. How do i tell if it is something in the transmission?

aint no throwout bearing noise, that only makes noise when the pedal is depressed. i would say that the counter shaft bearing is shot, drain the fluid and refill with 5 qts.

I doubt its ever been replaced.. i just bought it last summer and its at 185k miles. I'm gonna change teh trans fluid this weekend. How do i tell if it is something in the transmission?

well.. when you drain the trans fluid, look for metal or other unwanted particles in the fluid.

also, is it just the noise, or is it hard to shift... pops out of gear etc. all things to consider when it comes to the trans.

hows the clutch feel? soft? hard? does it get stinky after neing on the freeway or after hill climbs? is the pathy losing power when you drive her harder? like uphill or passing?

hmmm... actually when i think about it, it is really hard to move it into 1st gear sometimes.. but i dont notice that when the whine happens. Recently the clutch all of sudden felt a bit softer.. but wasnt anything big.. it never was bad or anything. When i went to tahoe my truck didnt want to accellerate going up hill. But on flat ground it accelerates just fine. And no i dont smell anything weird.

Say i do find metal flakes in the fluid.. what should i do?

Edited by JoeBob

A little bit of metal is ok. What you are worried about is chunks or something that just doesnt look right. Usually a small amount of metal "flakes" will collect on the magnet. You should be able to make out the magnet when you pull it out. Hey, keep a camera handy and take a pic and show us, maybe that will help.