Haulin' wood

mws

In building my shed, I found some surprising capabilities of the Pathy.

(what'd you think I meant by hauling wood?)

On the roof:

- I have the factory racks which are pretty flimsy. BUT, by 6 laying studs on the roof, I found hauling sheet stock to be easy. I laid 2 studs (stacked) just inside either roof rack. And then the last two stacked right down the middle. On top of that, I started stacking sheet stock. I had as much as:

- (5) sheets of 3/4" ply and (6) 18' long 2x6 joists.

-OR-

- (9) sheets of 3/8" OSB siding

A little bit of sheet metal flattening, but it popped right out when the load was removed.

Inside: By folding the driver side rear seat down and fully reclining the front passenger seat, I could easily carry (30) 2x4 studs (96") inside. Just load diagonally. Can even carry a few 10' studs - again, diagonally but with the front end on top of the dash board. Just barely fits.

I nearly caved in my roof, hauling sheetrock and concrete board, until i got my roof rack. The picture is with a 4,000lb pallet of floor tile in the back. They had to load it with a forklift. It really sucked having to unload the pallet, box by box....man i need a forklift at home!

4000 lbs? :blink:

Yeah, load ratings are for those too timid to find the weak link!

Front end kinda flighty? I do hope you're running LT tires and keep her under 80 mph.... B)

The idea with the 2x4's is to distribute the load as much as possible and avoid cave ins. The stock racks on my '88 end up transferring the load to 4 points on the roof. Yours distributes along the length of the track - much mo' better!

Edited by mws

Actually, it ran good on the freeway...i kept it at 50MPH. The front end was definitely at is limit....tires were barely touching the ground.....No bottoming out or wierd handling! I'm running BFG AT KO's 32x11.5x15 with the AC lift coils and Bilstein shocks....I highly recommend the Bilsteins...

BTW...that was the third load i took home that day! Not sure i'd load it that much again, but the Pathy is my Home Depot hauler and has done it's share of heavy hauls.

Guest SuperSon

I hauled about 40 composite decking material on my 93 before and another guy sitting on top of it for about 6 trips before with no problem.

This year Im thinking of installing a Dalan Hitch and a Mini folding trailer.