Where to get work done

bartmk

I'm wanting to find a shop to trouble-shoot the ticking noise my engine is making. I just moved to here to Olympia, WA a few months back and don't know of any trustworthy shops in town. My question is, what's the best way to find a good shop? Are there any websites out there with ratings or reviews? I've heard so much trash talk about dealers I'm hesitant to take it there. But on the other hand, if they are a Nissan dealer, and all they work on is Nissan vehicles, wouldn't that be the place to go? Then there's the little hole-in-the-wall places like "Japanese Auto Doctor," those places seem kind of sketchy.

I find that a lot of shops are quite leery of taking on Nissan jobs due to the complexity of the engine and associated systems, so many develop attitudes or assume that any job on a Nissan is going to be "a pain in the ass" or "not worth working on", etc. Those are the sort of places you should probably avoid...

All shops aside, does your ticking problem have any specific conditions you'd care to describe?

My first guess is the ol' exhaust manifold ordeal..... cracked, so the noise happens when cold but as the engine warms up it goes away....(as the metal expands and closes up the gap)

Or....its the usual lifter noise the VG30 engines make (as they age) that lasts for a second or two until the oil circulates fully. Nothing much can be done about that...just typical for the engine and causes no harm. Just annoying to hear :)

nevermind...saw your other posts regarding exhaust manifold leak and saw the videos.....

yep...sounds like the manifold ordeal to me! been there done that already years ago.

I just took mine to local Nissan shop and had them fix it along with new t-belt and water pump. Been good ever since.

Mine was broken stud(s), not cracked. You could look right at it and see there were missing heads on the studs LOL.

I'm wanting to find a shop to trouble-shoot the ticking noise my engine is making. I just moved to here to Olympia, WA a few months back and don't know of any trustworthy shops in town. My question is, what's the best way to find a good shop? Are there any websites out there with ratings or reviews? I've heard so much trash talk about dealers I'm hesitant to take it there. But on the other hand, if they are a Nissan dealer, and all they work on is Nissan vehicles, wouldn't that be the place to go? Then there's the little hole-in-the-wall places like "Japanese Auto Doctor," those places seem kind of sketchy.

Well arent you lucky, you are in my neck of the woods now. I work at the nissan dealer and I do side work! I will be more than happy to help you out. PM me and let me know if you would like to get together. And if you are courious, my pathfinder is always parked right out front of the dealer.