Wet carpet, seats, sunvisors

Matthew K

Hello all,

I noticed that the edge of my carpet right next to the driver's side door, the edge of my driver's seat (next to the door), and my sunvisor were damp. It rained fairly hard on New Year's Eve in Fairfax, VA, but I am certain I had my windows up. The carpet was the wettest as even the rear carpet next to the door was also wet. I'm not sure exactly what to do though as there was no water on the door itself or even in the storage compartment built into the bottom of the door. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a seal issue with the 2001 SE's? If not, I guess my next step is to perform a leak test with the garden hose. I do have a sunroof, but that was also closed and everything felt dry when I ran my hand around the inside lip of the headliner around the sunroof. I have noticed this before after a heavy rain and now I know it's a recurring issue. All of my door and window gaskets seem to be in good shape with no tears or abrasions. Thanks for your help!

Matt

Just an update- I went out to my car a few minutes ago to assess the carpet again. In my Pathfinder, I have the OEM carpet, the OEM floor mat, and an aftermarket molded rubber floor mat (made to retain water). The rubber mat was not wet on top, but it was on the bottom and both the OEM floor mat and most of the carpet in front of the driver's seat were soaked. So either the water is coming in from the door somehow and is saturating the carpet, or it's coming from the firewall somewhere. The second thought makes more sense to me because neither the door compartment bin nor the crevices in the plastic on the door had water....