automatic hubs

hmrepairs

Okay, is there a way to make an automatic hub manual? For instance, can an automatic hub be "locked in" all the time. Even if it were somehow welded solid, would it still be as effective in each direction. Also, can any damage be done by running manual hubs, locked in, with the transfer case in 2wd? Other than the lower fuel economy, can this cause problems to the front end?

I've had mine locked for the last two years and had no adverse effect that I can tell. Some say it makes your vehicle a little harder on gas.......they're not great on gas to start off with.

All you have to do is take them off and spin the inside of the so they are locked. Then remove the clutch assembly. This is why with auto hubs, you get a crunch when you go from forward to reverse, etc. The clutch actually dissengages the hubs momentarily when it chages dierection. If the clutch is not there, the hub stays in it's engage or dissengaged position..

Denis

I wouldn't run locked hubs on the street for any reason other than packed snow or ice. With locked hubs in 2WD it will spin the CV's and front diff and you'll get reduced gas mileage and excessive wear and tear on the CV's. It will also cause tough steering if anything in your steering system is loose or sloppy, which in turn will accelerate the wear on the steering. Normally the auto hubs will freewheel in 2WD, letting the CV's sit still. There's no real good points to doing such a thing that I can think of.