headlight problem

NickStallion

I've had this 95 Pathfinder for over 5 yrs, and have had no problems with it, but now, for no reason, the passenger side headlight comes on when it's sitting in the driveway. I drove it around last weekend, and it never came on the entire day, then when I parked it, that evening, the headlight came on, and drained the battery. It's done it two times before as well.

What to do? Is there a fix? I know electric problems are the worst to fix, but give me some hints. I've cleaned the battery posts, and secured all the connections I can find, and still no good. Any help out there? Thanks.

I've had this 95 Pathfinder for over 5 yrs, and have had no problems with it, but now, for no reason, the passenger side headlight comes on when it's sitting in the driveway. I drove it around last weekend, and it never came on the entire day, then when I parked it, that evening, the headlight came on, and drained the battery. It's done it two times before as well.

What to do? Is there a fix? I know electric problems are the worst to fix, but give me some hints. I've cleaned the battery posts, and secured all the connections I can find, and still no good. Any help out there? Thanks.

There's a topic in the repair section I can never find.... But basicly the problem is in the switch. Luckily it's easy to get too. You take the plastic cover of the steering column and there is a headlight module with a bunch of copper contacts take the cover off and clean those contacts. They are grouding due to build up.

I'll search for the link

here found it in the old pinned topics in the garage:

Headlights working strangely, not at all or singly(only one)

The headlight switch inside the turn signal lever is prone to malfunction after a while. Taking the turn signal lever apart, pulling the switch apart and cleaning the contacts as well as re-bending them into proper position will fix this problem. Some people report using contact cleaner spray on the switch from the outside (or after minor disassembly), but the effects don't last and re-cleaning is necessary.

I took the switch out, removed the plastic cover over the contacts, cleaned all the contacts , cleaned all the posts in the connector, put it all back together and the headlight still came on. So then I took a strip of electrical tape, slipped it underneath all the contacts, so not one contact could energize. plugged it back in, and the light still came on. Cleaned every ground connection I could find, it still came on. So I'm picking up a new headlight/turn signal control switch Tuesday evening. It was $72.00 at the Nissan Stealership, so I'll let you know if that was the problem. I thought maybe something was messed up inside the switch. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I stopped by the local Nissan Dealership this evening after work, and picked up a new headlight, turn signal switch. $72.85 plus $4.37 tax brings the damage to $77.22. Thing is, that fixed it! Must of been something internally wrong with the switch. Can't complain really, with over 142,000 miles on it, that's only the second thing I can think of that I've had to repair. An Oxygen sensor went out a year ago, or so, but that's it, as far as repairs go, in the last four years. Not to shabby. Great vehicles. Thanks again for all the help guys.

The good thing about pathfinders is they all have common problems. I have all the common problems of a pathfinder but I knew to expect them and I know how to fix most of them. Theres comfort in knowing that when something goes wrong you know what to do right away. This site is a godsend.