Cheep REVO's and Tranny CPU fix....

SnowKat

Hi all long time no post.

Two new mods I'm really happy with on the QB'fer.

1. Hercules Terra trac A/T's are excellent with thier REVO tread variant. So far so good in rain, snow/ice, and wet gravel their very predictable, grippy, and best of all they look meaty without the wife disturbing milage and noise probs. I needed a tire that was the same size as stock 'cause we had a perfectly good spare and the less I have to worry about the 'Q the better (My GT4 is the one that needs the patients). I was dead set on the Perelli Scorpion ATR's but there aren't any in NA right now..... sooo then I wanted the REVO's but no exact fit arrrggggggg!!! Was sugested the Herc's (Made by Cooper Tire) were good and had my size..... long story pointless I'm really, really happy with these and they were $40 cheeper a tire then the Pirellis and Bridgstones..... win/win.

2. Swaped out the Transmission Control Module as per a TSB on InfinityHelp 'cause the tranny would flair going into 2nd and 3rd esp when cold. The 'Q was still quite drivable but frustating when it slipped. The new version of TCM, while expensive, was a Night and Day difference in control. Now I can't outwit the tranny when tooling around like flooring it when its about to shift which always suked when merging into traffic etc. Also, you get a really connected feeling when drifting around with the O/D off..... the tires helped too but it just drives so much better and has smoother power transfer which is always good in the snow.

Anyway thats my story.... Questions and comments always welcome.

Markus

Yup, Teccibal like Vengful said its a VQ.

My tranny would slip almost always when cold excellerating at 1/3 throttle or just ho-him driving. The 'Q just felt ungainly in general, it handled well and was comfortable but it would shift stoopidly and sometimes you wouldn't have the exceleration when you needed it. I unfortunatly had it checked out by a dealership where they said that I only needed the TCM and not a solonoid replacement. Which I took with a grain of salt because when I started asking questions about why it took so long to come up with this the mechanic gave the blank stare and re-read what was on the sheet. Soo, I thought I'd change the TCM and see what happened as I was going to change the tranny fluid shortly after so I would know how much of the tranny I would have to take apart....ugh! Why do I have to know/learn more than a paid profesional mechanic just to get an estimate on repairs!!!!!!

Anyway there was a discrepancy with what TCM would work with what year of pathy but in the end all you can get is the newest version which is the 3'rd redesign and it works really well. I was worried because this version is for '02 mfg tranny's and my 'Q is an '00 mfg and there is no DOA policy on electrical parts from Infinity so if it didn't work I'd be out $200 and return to the crap shifting. Anyway Steve(Parts) at Agincourt(sp?) Infinity/Nissan was very healpfull and gave a verbal agreement that if it didn't work I could exchange it...... Wha???? sombody at a dealership that will stand behind their knowledge and parts...cool!!!

All in all It was a great switch and at first it felt almost the same untill I realised the tranny, instead of slipping stayed in the lower gear until it figured out what the idiot driver was trying to do and then shift up. I just feel better now that the tranny transitions better 'cause its my wifes DD and she isn't silly like me and enjoys upsetting the vehical's balance just to drift corners.

Markus