A/C & Heater blower motor

maxbaby

So it's been -30 Celcius for the last few days and it's nice to know that my heater is more than just adequate. However, I did notice around the passenger side footwell that there was as much cold air blowing as there was hot air. So I snooped around and found that at the blower motor itself, cold air was being blown out all around the mounting plate of the motor, right where it screws into the plastic housing.

I pulled the motor and noted that it was simply held in with three mounting screws right flush against the plastic. This does not seem very "air-tight". Now I know that the motor was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner. In the interim I have used some foam insulation tape and pretty much sealed the motor back in. I am wondering if there was supposed to be a foam gasket of some type between the motor mounting plate and the plastic housing...

Mine's a 94 XE...

Edited by maxbaby

and now that I've had it running a few days, I find that while I have reduced the cold air flow a lot, I've still got quite a bit coming from a joint just above the "floor" opening for the heater on the passenger side... there's foam there but it doesn't seem to be stopping the air from "leaking" there... I can't see any broken plastic in the housing itself and everything seems to be fitted together properly. Anyone else ever had this problem?